Chapter four

Katie

Her mother didn't drop her off in front of her school gate as usual. She was in a hurry for a meeting she had at her other kids school so she left Katie two blocks away from her location. Not that a lot of people would have been bothered much but Katie was already running late and as someone who had her stomach stuffed from her late night 'snack' and a stack of pancake for breakfast, she was awfully tired after running that track.

She was slowly panting deep breathes once she got inside her school halls when Josh sneaked up behind her and whispered a boo in her left ear. She was so shocked she almost let out all her leftovers all over the place. Almost.

Instead she squealed like a helpless mouth then went to a sudden stop sending Josh to hit her back and knock him to the ground.

She noticed a blonde girl watched the whole thing and smiled at their clumsiness. Surprisingly, the girl didn't even seem mean. Katie noticed that. She would have thought the girl was mocking her man-resembling body if this had happened anytime before this week.

"Ouch" Josh muttered and slowly started getting up with one hand pushing the ground to support him and the other to hold his bottom which must be hurting.

"You scared me!"

"I am sorry?"

"Why is that a question? You should be sorry!". She didn't even feel breathless now. She was baffled at his outrageous act.

"Okay?"

"Uhhhh" Katie muttered angrily and took a step closer to Josh sending the guy to almost knock himself backwards without even touching him.

"Hey, I said I was sorry!" he pleaded.

Katie could only laugh at his act. He actually thought she was gonna push him again! Who knew men were weaklings?! She laughed so hard she had to cough to regain back her consciousness.

"What is so funny?" Josh asked making her think he resembled her brother Sammy when that little trouble maker asked why she was laughing at him when he had gum tangled in his messy red hair.

"I was gonna fix your collar" Katie smiled and rolled her eyes.

"Oh.. You should have just said so" he muttered and folded it over properly. She thought he looked nice in the blue shirt he was in. His shirt sleeves embraced his biceps and each time he moved his arms, she feared his shirt would rip at their joints.

She must have stared quite longer than she thought because next thing she knew, he was snapping his finger in front of her eyes. "What?", she shot a little meaner than she intended.

"I bought the book you told me to for our class together", he said cheerfully.

He must not have noticed..

The bell rang before she had the chance to open her mouth. She realized she ran for nothing. She could have just walked and made it on time for her first period.

"Great. See you second period" she turned and off she went to her way.

*****

Josh

Josh could do nothing but flex his arms and stare at his muscles first period. He never had interest for literature so the view of his biceps wasn't so bad of a distraction from the teacher writing in front of the classroom.

He wondered if the muscles on his arms showed so much that Katie had to stare in the open. Oh there was no reason to doubt, he started to think. Of course he knew he had a great body. Just about time before he is gonna start showing off more, he thought then smiled cockily and put his arms behind his head then tilted his chair to the back.

He heard some girls at the back corner start to giggle and bash their eyes at him.

Yap, definitely still got it

He jumped right to his feet soon as the bell rang for second period and quickly grabbed his bag from the floor to leave for his next class.

"Hey, wait for me" a voice called from behind. One of the girls from before was coming his way in a hurry. "We are in the same class"

"Huh?"

"You are off to Geo right?" asked the small blonde figure in front of him.

"Yeah.. Okay. Am in a hurry so..", he said and rapidly moved around his hands.

"Right. Lead the way", the girl smiled at him. Josh didn't even notice or care for once. He was fast to catch up to expressions but for some reason he didn't show no indication that time. He started taking big steps letting the girl half run to catch up to him. He suddenly felt mean hearing her ran out of breath but all he could think about was getting to his class.

"I am Jenny by the way" the girl said beside him taking fast big steps to not lag behind.

"Cool" Josh muttered.

"You are Josh right?"

"Uh-hum"

"Great. So um where are you from?" Jenny asked between breathes.

"Fun-town" Josh replied without showing a hint of any emotion and almost bumping to a teacher passing when he took a turn in the hall.

"Haha silly, we are all from around here. I meant which school?"

"Oh. Grepper"

"No way. Why would you leave such a school?". Josh could only glance backwards to her and give her a look.

"So hey you don't have to sit at the front by the way once we get to class. There is a perfectly good seat right beside me and..."

Before she finished her sentence, Josh suddenly came to an abrupt stop and let the girl smack onto his back and knocked to the ground.

He looked back and saw Jen or whatever struggle her way back on to her feet and didn't even feel the need to help her by lending her a hand. It was weird for him... seeing someone in need of help due to his fault but him not reacting to it.

"You know I am already sitting beside someone right?" He asked emotionless.

"Excuse me?"

"I know the nerd sitting beside you. I noticed how you glare at him just for minding his own business. What's your plan? Kicking him off his seat just so you could flirt comfortably?"

A minute of silence passed before the girl lost her look of disbelief and finally came up with a name for him.

"Jerk"

Josh didn't even care. He just turned and made his way to class.