Chapter Ten

My parents were over the moon with my accomplishment, scoring a job at the largest business in the country.

I hadn't broken the news to them as to what my intentions were, just yet. If everything runs smoothly at my new job and I've received a few paychecks, I will let them know I need my own space. Somewhere nearby, possibly an apartment. Though this time, I will keep in contact. Im sure they'll understand.

So here I am, two hours before my shift, trying to look acceptable. I jumped into the shower, scrubbed myself and shaved my legs. My mother had loaned an outfit, a black blouse matched with a grey pencil skirt. I finished the look off with comfortable, short, black stilettos, left my hair straight and flowing down my back with a touch of makeup. Definitely not overdone, though I'm sure I shall fit in.

With a quick bite, I left the door and made my way to my first day at McNelly Enterprises.

Once again I'm in awe of the building, though instead of approaching front desk for directions, I made my way to floor 19 where I met Marie.

"Hello Miss Montgomery, it's a pleasure to see you again" she spoke, a smile reaching her eyes.

"The pleasure is mine, Marie, please call me Kylie or Ky for short" I replied, returning the smile. "I better get to it before I'm late for my first day", I giggled.

With a quick wave, I made my way across to Mr McNelly's office and placed a small knock on the door before entering.

"Goodmorning Miss Montgomery, I hope you are prepared to prove me wrong today. I have a tonne of work for you." Marcus grinned.

Hours had passed by and it was almost 12 o'clock, most of the time spent was filing paperwork and running errands for Mr Bossy. I was thankful he kept me busy, rather than living up to his name as the 'womanizer'.

I'd just been sent off to pick up a plain black tea, no sugar or milk, from a nearby cafe. The streets were busy and the line was even busier at Coffee Break.

Mr Bossy won't be impressed.

We have a cafeteria within our building, though aparently his 'black tea' isn't as good here as it is there. I don't know how that could even be possible, though here I am following orders.

My stomach was grumbling, hopefully it's almost time for a lunch break. I thought as I made my way back into the office.

With a slight tap on the door, I opened the door to walk in when I had caught Marcus in a compromisimg position. Oh no! My fingers had slipped from the Styrofoam cup and hot black tea had spilt over the charcoal carpet.

"Im so sorry, so so sorry" I quickly squeaked out.

A tall blonde was straddling Marcus, placing small kisses over his neck. Thankfully fully clothed, though I walked out, guilt eating at myself. I couldn't stay to clean the mess, I was too uncomfortable. I felt a pang in my chest, perhaps guilt.

I took long strides and sat at Marie's desk. I wonder where she is? Must be on her lunch break perhaps.

I was sitting anxiously when the blonde I had walked in on, came storming out of Marcus's office. Her face was boiling with anger as she glanced my way before disappearing into the elevator.

"Tramp!" she called out before the doors closed.

What the hell was that about?

I was disrupted by my thoughts when Mr McNelly had called me back through the intercom. Ok now this is just awkward. Time to face my punishment.

Marcus had his back towards me when I entered his office.

"Sit" he grunted.

Yep, I'm definitely in trouble.

"What you saw before with Claire, was a mistake, I had no intentions of playing around with her" he whispered. "I've known her for many years, she has been trying to get my attention".

Was he rectifying himself? I least expected Mr Billionaire to show any sort of remorse. In fact it was quite the opposite of what I was prepared to hear.

I stopped him before he could speak again "You don't need to explain yourself Mr McNelly, I am your employee. You can do as you wish with your free time." I whispered, unable to look him in the eyes.

"Call me Marcus, Mr McNelly makes me feel old" he breathed out before speaking again. "It was inappropriate and unprofessional, you should not have seen her in that position, definitely here at your workplace. For that I sincerely apologise".

"Their's really no need to apologise, though I accept your mannerisms" I smiled.

Could this egoistic, womanizing, rude, hot, muscly boss have a heart?

"You can take your hour lunch break, we can have a chat when you get back" he dismissed.

I made my way towards what looked to be the cafeteria. I wasn't familiar with the building or the people. Sarah was nowhere in sight. A wide array of food was on offer, free to all employees. I grabbed a sandwich, muffin and hot coffee to pass by time.

I dug through my bag, fished out my phone and decided to turn it on. I had no use for it these past few days and decided it was best switched off. Messages and missed calls started rolling in. I managed to open the first message on the list, which happened to be the last received.

My dear, dear Ky. My oh my hasn't your brothers and sister grown these past two years. Your parents are looking well too. ox miss you, we'll be back together soon - Jacob.

My heart stopped as tears began to fall. I have been too occupied with catchups and work that I had completely forgotten why I was here in the first place. To escape my ex boyfriend, find a job and move out before my family are involved. Jacob was psychotic, what may seem like an innocent message, is the complete opposite. It was a threat to my family and a promise to have me back.

The rest of the day had ticked by in a blur. Marcus had been called to a meeting all afternoon, so thankfully we didn't have to elaborate on our conversation from earlier. He had passed by when I had arrived back from my break. Explained what jobs I needed to do, what time I will be finishing, etc. He paused as if searching my face, though turned away abruptly and went to attend his meeting.

I'm not sure what was running through his mind. Could he be angry at me?

I didn't ponder long before my worries fogged my mind again.