Chapter Two

I was awoken by light streaming through the curtains. At first, I had no recollection of where I was, until everything dawned on me. I'm in my old bedroom, my parents are disappointed, I have a dreaded conversation nearing and I know that my mother and father will want an explanation.

I couldn't tell them what I had endured. I couldn't endanger their lives. The sooner I'm out of this place, the better it will be for everyone.

With a huff, I dragged myself out of bed, walking into the ensuite and began to clean myself up.

"Today is a new day, today I will show no weakness and today I will find employment". I spoke to my reflection in the mirror.

I looked like a character from a horror movie. What was left from my makeup last night had leaked down my cheeks. My eyes were red and puffy and held large bags.

How did my life turn upside down in a matter of 2 years?

I held back the tears and began to apply a fresh coat of makeup, doing my best to disguise the pain.

Combing my hair back into a high ponytail, I left the ensuite and began to search through my suitcase for something suitable to wear on my jobsearch.

Thankfully, I had held on to an outfit that I had brought a couple of years ago when looking for employment. A white button down shirt and a black mid-waist skirt.

Happy with my choice of attire, I retrieved my burrowed mobile phone and coaxed myself into leaving the room.

As I left my bedroom, I wasn't surprised to see 11 missed calls and 4 text messages. As I scrolled through, I relised they were all from Jacob, my ex boyfriend. I dropped my phone in shock when I read through the threatening messages.

You know me better than anyone, you will wish you didn't pull this stunt on me -yours truly Jacob x

Answer your f*cking phone. I will try once more - Jacob.

My, my... my dear Ky has grown a back bone. -Jacob

I'll see you soon Ky ;-) promise - Jacob.

My body started to shake. I had come to know Jacob quite well and his threats never went astray.

Please don't come hunting here, please don't find me. I thought as I bumped into someone in the hallway.

I looked up to find Josh, concern etched over his face as he quickly questioned, "Is everything okay sis, you look pale?"

I put a smile on my face to reassure him that everything was fine. "Just a tad hungry", I added while picking up my phone and rushing off to the kitchen.

I was thankful he didn't question any further.

The smell of bacon and eggs filled my nostrils as I approached the kitchen.

I've missed this.

I was surprised to find my siblings at the table and parents out of sight.

"Where is mum and dad?" I questioned.

"They were called into an emergency at work," Melody grunted, "As usual".

Money was never an issue for our family, my parents had well paying jobs in emergency at the local hospital. Which also meant that they weren't always around.

I was thankful that I had more time on my hands before our dreaded conversation.

I sat down at the table and fixed myself a quick breakfast.

"So fill me in -- I've missed out on alot". I glanced around the table, questioning my siblings.

"Just school, study and sports.. a couple of birthdays.. nothing exciting" Josh answered between mouthfuls of food. "Where have you been and what have we missed?" He added softly.

I looked down at my plate, suddenly losing my appetite.

Although sensing my mood, Josh quickly changed the subject, "we missed you Ky, we are happy to have you back home".

I nodded in return, thankful he dropped the subject.

With a small smile, I hopped up from my chair and placed my dirty dishes into the sink.

"If mum or dad come home, let them know I'll be back later on" I quickly yelled out to my siblings before making my way to the door.

Thankfully our house was within walking distance to the town centre, hopefully their will be positions available.