Chapter Sixteen

I hadn't heard from Kylie since last night, when I foolishly requested lunch to catch up on 'work'.

I couldn't keep her off my mind. I was intrigued.

I hadn't felt the need to know a woman well enough before. Normally I would use women for sexual favours. Kylie is different to all the other women I have met. She didn't care for status or money.

I normally wouldnt care when I broke a few hearts and made women cry,  though watching Kylie tear up because of me brought something to life in my heart.  I felt pain, I wasn't the cold blooded beast I was notoriously known for.

I sent her a quick message, eager to catch up for coffee. I apologised but still felt a pang of guilt from the way I had treated her.

She still hadn't replied to my message and it was nearing midday. I waited patiently with the hopes that she would arrive, glancing to my side everytime the bell would ring signalling a customer.

It had gone past 12 when I collected my stuff ready to leave when I was stopped in my own tracks.

Beautiful,  brown, innocent eyes stared back at me. I shifted on my legs as she approached the table.

How could one person make me feel like the world had stopped around me.

"Kylie" I whispered, unable to pull together a coherant greeting.

Her cheeks tainted a slight pink before she whispered back unable to meet my eye, "Marcus".

So innocent. So beautiful.

I rushed to the side and pulled the chair out for her to seat.

"I hope I didn't have you waiting too long" she stated nervously.

"No ofcourse not. I just got here myself" I lied smoothly.

A blonde waitress approached and requested our order. I glanced towards Kylie and noticed how uncomfortable she felt. Perhaps it was the way the waitress eyed me down like prey, not even bothering about my company.

My blood began to boil at how inconsiderate this girl was towards Kylie.

"I'll order after you see that my -- Kylie is looked after first" I seethed out disgusted.

The waitress was taken aback before focusing her attention on Ky.

"I'm sorry I didnt see you there, what would you like to order?" She squeaked out.

Now that is better.

"I actually would love a macadamia slice and cappucino please" 

"Make that two" I butted in before the waitress managed to steal another glance my way.

She scurried off and made herself busy with our orders whilst we made small talk.

I wanted to know everything about Kylie. Her life before McNelly Enterprises, any previous boyfriends, what she was into, what she hated.

I was obsessed, intrigued. I wanted to know her like a book.

"How was the oversea conference?" She questioned, breaking the silence.

"It was good, we managed to seal the deal quite quickly". I lied again, it was far from good. I'd only worked with Ky for a day before I had to wrap up some business overseas. I would have prefered to stay back at office and get to know Kylie a bit better instead. But I couldn't have her knowing that.

"I seem to have caught the rift with work. Marie is a patient teacher". She spoke between bites. "I can see why you have a close relationship with her.

"I'm glad to hear, Marie was quite impressed with how easy you were catching onto things. I smiled genuinely. "Marie is like a second mother to me, she has been with me for a very long time. She started as nanny and I hired her as secretary when took over the business. Do you have family here?" I questioned eager to know about her.

Marie seems to think highly of Kylie. Her own words "be nice to her, this one is a keeper". I huffed at her reference to the previous assistants, receiving one of Marie's famous glares. She wasnt too keen on the previous assistants either. I hadn't seen her get close to anyone like she does with Kylie.

"I do. I moved back in with my parents and siblings just recently actually. I have an older brother, Josh and two younger siblings, Melody and Hunter. They're crazy as hell, but I love them to bits". She spoke with a smile. What about you?"

"I take it you have a good relationship with your family? Mines a little more complicated with my parents. I have a great relationship with Marie, ofcourse and unfortunetly I am an only child. Where were you prior to moving back in with your parents?"

Kylie paused and I almost regret my decision to pry too much into her personal life before she answered. "I do have a good relationship with my family. I spent a couple of years away with an ex. Ofcourse my parents weren't ecstatic but we make mistakes and we learn from them".

I wanted to know so much more about this ex but I dropped the subject. I could see it was a touchy subject and I didn't want to upset her. "Any plans for the future Ky?"

"I seem to enjoy what I am doing at the moment, I've had thoughts about doing a degree in business to furthur my skills. I'm not 100% set with the idea just yet though, I'd like to get back on my own feet". She answered.

"That sounds good. When you get back on your feet and if you are still interested, I have alot of ties. I can help you out". I promised, noticing the smile that appeared on her face.

"I can't thank you enough for entrusting me with this job, Mr McNelly".

"Please -- Marcus. Don't worry about formalities". Deep down, a part of me stung when she would refer to me as her boss.

"Ok, Marcus". She blushed, unable to meet my eye.