Chap 16 - New King of Hellhounds and New Pets

Percy's POV
We are standing at the entrance to Tartarus. I looked down on the map, it says the first monster we have to find is wandering around Tartarus.

I looked at Thalia, "You ready for this?"

She nodded determinedly. I took her hand and we walked into Tartarus.

Time skip
We were wandering for, I don't know hours? Minutes? It's hard to tell time down here. We followed the map but everything we get close to the dot, it just disappears then reappears somewhere else.

"We've been following that stupid dot for hours. I'm tired." Thalia complained.

I spotted a nearby cave and nudged her.

"We can rest in that cave then continue later." I said.

She jumped onto my back and urged me to go. I shook my head at her. We got comfortable, well as comfortable as you can get in a cave, and I summoned some water and food for us. My other powers work just fine but can't teleport out or in Tartarus, which is why the monster is so hard to catch. After a few minutes, I heard soft thumps coming from outside the cave. I peeked out and my eyes widen. Standing in front of me was 30 ft tall hellhound with budging muscles and razor sharp claws and teeth.

It started sniffing and it swivelled around, spotting me.

It growled at me and spoke, "Who are you, demigod?"

"Umm...I'm Perseus Nova Chaos, son of Chaos. Who are you?" I asked.

"I am Vasiliás, King of Hellhounds." He growled.

"Would you consider joining me and my father in the upcoming war with the Olympians." I asked.

"As much as I hate the Olympians, I work for no one." He said and lunged at me.

I dodged to the side and swung at his hind paw. But that only made a shallow cut. He growled at me lumbered towards me. He may be big but he's slow. I did a baseball slide under his belly and thrust my sword up. He yowled and swiped his paw at me. I tried deflecting it but the force was so strong it knocked me off my feet. I got back up and saw Thalia creeping up from behind him. She drive her spear into his other hind paw.

While he was distracted, I quickly drove my sword through his chest. An agony filled roar resonated around us. The king of hellhounds slowly crumbled into dust but weird thing is the dust floated into me. Suddenly I felt stronger and faster, I could smell monsters in the distance. A howl was heard and shadows started to accumulate in front of me. A hound appeared in front of me, a few feet shorter than Vasiliás. He looked at me and bowed.

"My king." He said.

"A-Are you talking to me?" I asked.

"Yes, you are our new king since you defeated Vasiliás." He said.

"Who are you?" I asked.

"I am Orthros, the beta, your highness." He said.

"Please call me Percy." I told Orthros.

"Very well, Percy. Is there anything I can do for you now?" He asked.

"Uh, no. You are dismissed?" I said, unsurely.

"If you need us hellhounds, just summon us." He said before shadow travelling away.

"We're you just talking to that hellhound?" Thalia asked.

"Yes, couldn't you hear him?" I asked.

"No, what did he say?" She asked.

"Apparently I'm the new King of Hellhounds." I said surprised.