Flurry Of Activity

Niall had been crying on and off all night and both Liam and Zayn were exhausted. Liam had tried nearly everything to sooth the small lad but nothing seemed to help. The only time his cries died down was when he was being walked around by Zayn, but even then he was constantly whimpering.

"Maybe a warm bath would help?" Liam suggested as he ran his hands through his hair making it stick up.

"Anything is worth trying, Li" Zayn agreed and he carried Niall into the adjoining bathroom. Liam followed and busied himself running the water until he was satisfied with the temperate. Once it was to his liking, he put the plug in and added a squirt of the lavender scented bubble bath that he hoped would sooth his baby. Zayn had started to undress Niall and pulled a face when he undid Niall's diaper to find it was messy and that Niall obviously had a very upset tummy. He quickly cleaned Niall, hissing softly when he saw the red skin. Zayn shook his head in wonder, they had only changed Niall into a clean diaper less than an hour ago and already his poor area was red and sore looking.

"Ow!" Liam exclaimed as he took in Niall's sore skin. "Poor lamb. Sshh, little man" he cooed at the boy who was sobbing again "Dada will make it all better." He carried the boy over to the bath and lowered him in gently but Niall screamed even louder.

 "Here, here's your  duckie" Zayn said trying to distract the boy. Much to his surprise, Niall grabbed it and immediately put it into his mouth and chewed on it. Zayn and Liam stared at the boy, both seeing the tension in Niall's jaw as he bit down on the rubber duck in his hand. "I wonder" Zayn murmured. "Do you think he's teething?" He stopped and shook his head "No, he's got his teeth. Toothache, maybe?"

"Zee, you've hit on it. Well done. No, not toothache..he's teething!" Li replied, having a lightbulb moment.

"Li...really!" Zayn sounded skeptical.

"Really! I think he might be having trouble with his wisdom teeth!" Liam carefully lifted Niall from the bath and dried him quickly  before carrying him back to the bedroom. Laying Niall on the bed, he turned and took the diaper and cream Zayn was handing him. Niall was soon diapered and back in his warm onsie, a soft blanket wrapped around him. Niall had begun crying again so Liam handed him to Zayn before dashing back into the bathroom and rummaging through the medications and creams in the cabinet there. He returned quickly, a look of triumph on his face as he held up a small tube" "Teething Gel" he grinned. He put some on his fingers and the moment they were in Niall's small mouth, Niall was trying to bite down on them. Liam swiftly rubbed the gel on the inflamed gums at the back of Niall's mouth. "I can feel the edge of a tooth under the gum, Zee" he announced.

"I should have thought of that sooner" Zayn said guiltily  as he looked down at the small lad in his arms who was now  quietly sucking on a paci, his eyes heavy with sleep. Minutes after Liam had rubbed the red and inflamed gums right at the back of Niall's small mouth, the sobbing had ceased and Niall seemed very tired but pain free for the time being..

"Poor lamb" Liam said. "I wish I had  realised earlier. I'll take him to the clinic tomorrow. and get them to see. It may be he needs to have them removed. His jaw is so tiny, it doesn't look as if he has room for them to come through properly. Maybe that's the issue ?"

"Yeah, I think that's wise. Can you manage yourself? I've got that security meeting with Simon and the other guys tomorrow" Zayn asked, concern in his voice.

"Yeah, babe, I'll be fine. And I think we both mean today" he looked ruefully at the clock by the side of the bed. It read 3:45am. "Let's try and get some sleep." and with that, he lay Niall into his crib and climbed into bed. Zayn carefully set the alarm, then got in behind his husband , pulling him into his chest and snuggling up to him. In minutes the room was totally silent except for the sound of soft breathing.