"Dead"...And Buried

Mark breathed in the smell of the perfume that  somehow  still permeated the room. He glanced about himself, taking in his surroundings, hardly able to grasp that he was standing here, in her bedroom...or what was once her bedroom. It looked like it hadn't been touched since she was last here.  He gave himself a mental shake. He had to get what he needed and get out fast, he didn't have long. Opening  the bag he brought with him, he started to tuck clothing into it, underwear, Tshirts, a few sweaters, pants and toiletries. He zipped the bag up and quietly and carefully left the house, carefully turning  the alarms  ack on before sneaking out of the house. He scanned the area meticulously, he mustn't be seen. Mark jogged his way back to his car which he had hidden further down the street. His chest felt tight with tension and he forced himself to take several deep breaths, relief flooding his body as more air allowed his lungs to expand. Stage two of his plans was about to start.

Louis and Zayn had spent hours going through the Police computer to see what, if anything, Joe Marks may have discovered. Joe had obviously found the report of Zayn and Liam's supposed deaths and had tried other avenues to see if anything else had turned up but it looked like he had reached a dead end.

"Do you think he bought it?" Zayn's voice was rough with anxiety. Louis shrugged.

"Mate, we were thorough. You and Liam died that night and I made d*mn sure that all traces of your existence 'died'" he wiggled his fingers in quotation marks " along with you. You both are dead and buried. End of.... Mate, even your families believe you were killed in that fire."

"But why the sudden interest?" Zayn pursued.He and Liam had given up so much to be where they were right now and now it looked like the whole thing could blow right open. Why? Why the sudden interest?

"Dunno, but I'll find out." Louis turned his attention back to the computer and his fingers danced rapidly across the keyboard. "A ha!" Louis pushed his black framed glasses further up his nose and leaned closer to the screen. "It appears that Greg has been re-interviewed and his sighting of you has triggered the new search." Louis glanced up at Zayn who was frowning. 

"But why?" Zayn was confused. "Greg has no reason to connect me to my past."

"No, but I'll see what else I can find out." Louis fingers clicked across the keys as Zayn paced back and forth, too agitated to sit or stand still. Hours passed by and still Louis worked, occasionally muttering to himself. "Zee,   any chance you know this guy, this detective ?" he looked up at Zayn who looked completely confused. "Joe Marks?" Louis reminded him.

"Joe Marks, Joe Marks" this time it was Zayn who was muttering to himself as he walked back and forth. "Joe Marks" Suddenly his face paled beneath his tan complexion " The Academy..we were at the Academy together.  I'd forgotten him, forgotten the Academy. We were never close but he came to the wedding. Half the Academy did, guess they were curious about a same sex marriage. It was still an oddity then. But he thinks I'm..we're..dead. So why?" Zayn felt even more confused."I never connected the name."

"Mate, I don't know but I'll try and find out. Look, you can't do anything here. Go home to your family. I'll keep you informed. Go!" he waved his hand at the door and Zayn trudged out, wondering what on earth he was going to tell Liam.

"Babababbbb" Niall babbled cheerfully as Zayn entered the room. The small man held out his arms and wriggled in Liam's hold as Zayn approached to take him. Zayn cuddled him closely to himself and peppered the soft cheeks with kisses, making Niall giggle.

"You OK, babe? Liam asked anxiously as Zayn went and sat on the couch, Niall cradled in his arms. "What's happening?" He sat down next to his husband and placed a gentle hand on his shoulder, rubbing it soothingly.