Bro, You Just Gotta Hear This!

A/N Louis Malachi arrived on September 13th weighing 4lbs 9oz. We both had a rough time but are getting better. Louis is a real fighter.

Mark felt his hands shaking as he gripped the steering wheel. This was it. He drove steadily, wanting so desperately to speed as fast as he could away from this community of deranged people. He wanted Patience to be safe. He forced himself to maintain a speed that didn't attract any undue attention but he knew the dangerous part was yet to come. He knew security had been increased and that leaving the community limits would trigger the alarms but he had to take the risk. That would be when he hit the gas and drove as fast as he could. He just had to get out to where there would be other people. He took a deep breath. Old Turnpike was coming up. He stopped the car briefly and tried to steady his nerve. Foot down, he hit the accelerator and the car shot forward.

Zayn and Liam shot awake abruptly as they heard the warning alarms. Simultaneously, Zayn's cell phone indicated an incoming call and he hurriedly answered, hearing Louis agitated voice.

"Zayn, the hospital just rang. Patience is missing.....Mark too!. Surveillence showed him putting into his car and him heading off. He's just hit Old Turnpike." Louis was breathless as he spoke.

"I'm on my way" Zayn  had  leapt out of bed and was   already starting to dress as he listened to Louis. He pulled on Joggers , then grabbed his keys. "Take Niall to Serena and then follow me. Hurry!" and he was gone.

Niall had been woken by the noise and was screaming fretfully. Liam tried to sooth him as he got dressed himself then he swaddled Niall tightly and headed out himself to leave the baby with Serena. She had her door open to admit me almost as soon as he had begun to hammer on the door and swiftly took the still screaming lad from his arms. Liam thanked her briefly then  raced to join his husband, wondering just what the f.ck was happening.

Dust clouds marked Zayn's progress as he sped along Old Turnpike. His car was much faster than Mark's and he soon could see the escaping car in the distance. Shoulders tense , he coaxed his car to go faster, the distance between the two vehicles closing imperceptibly. Mark panicked, seeing the other car gaining on him and he knew he had to get to a  populated area if he was to escape. Zayn couldn't touch him then. The Highway was in sight now and he put his foot down even harder on the accelerator . Almost there! He turned the car sharply to the left and headed , not towards Rexfordlea, but towards the appropriately named Haven Town. His chest ached with his need for oxygen as he'd been holding his breath in terror. Zayn was still gaining, closer and closer. Mark raised his eyes to his rear view mirror and he felt his heart stop. Zayn was bearing down on him. There was an enormous bang as Zayn drove his car into the rear side of Mark's car in a perfect 'Pit Manoeuvre', a trick he'd been taught at the Academy,  and Mark felt his car spinning out of control. His head hit the steering wheel and his world went black as the car hit some trees lining the road and stilled the car's progress.

Zayn leapt out of his vehicle and wrenched open the  driver's side door with difficultly. He placed two fingers on the pulse of Mark's neck. The man was unconscious but alive though his face was covered in blood. Zayn then looked into the back seat. Patience , unlike Mark, had been wearing a seatbelt and Mark had also padded pillows around her. She seemed unhurt but was screaming in fright. He gently unfastened her and, lifting her out, cuddled her into his chest, speaking softly to her to calm her. Her sobs lessened and Zayn was then able to hear the sound of an approaching vehicle. He scanned both directions anxiously, sighing with relief as he recognised Liam's car heading towards him. Liam pulled up and jumped out, jogging towards them.

"Zee, is she OK? And Mark?" Liam asked anxiously as he turned back  to pull his medic out of his car.

"She seems fine" Zayn said, "Frightened, but unhurt. Mark's alive but he's badly hurt." Liam dashed towards the injured man and began to check him over. Finall he stood back.

"He's got a strong pulse. Obvious head injury but he need a hospital. Do we take him back?" Liam asked.

"Yeah, can't leave him here. We need to move the car too. F.ck!" He turned his head, It sounded like another vehicle was coming, the sounds still distant but definitely approaching. "Li, let's go now, hurry!"

"But Mark!" Liam said. "We can't just...."

"Li, go. We can't get caught." Zayn yelled, galvanising Liam into movement. He picked up his medical bag and returned to his car as Zayn finished strapping an again screaming Patience into Niall's vacant carseat. Doors slamming, both men rapidly drove away, leaving Mark alone.

Joe Marks rubbed his tired eyes. He'd got very little sleep last night as his mind tried to make sense of the recent events. Unable to stay in bed, he had arrived at the Precinct before the sun had barely risen and was studying the files on Niall Horan's disappearance yet again. He was currently looking at a map of the area and was totally puzzled by the lack of a town being shown, yet not too long ago, pilots searching for a missing hiker had claimed to have flown over an unknown community. And that community had suddenly appeared on records, only to vanish again , a few months later. His head throbbed badly so he reached for his black coffee and took a swig.

"Bro, you just gotta hear this" James Corden told his fellow Detective Joe as he bounced into his office.. "I bet you never heard this excuse before. It's beyond crazy" He pulled up a chair and propped his feet onto Joe's desk. Joe Marks eyed him with slight distaste. James was a great guy, but too enthusiastic at times. Still, the sooner he listened to him, the sooner James would leave him in peace.

"OK, what excuse have I never heard before." Joe asked indulgently.

"Well, some guy had an accident on the  Highway. Went into trees. He wasn't wearing his seatbelt. They took him to the hospital and when he regained consciousness, he was shouting about this girl being in the car with him and that they'd been forced off the road to try and stop them escaping. He reckoned he was taking this girl from some f.cked up place where they kidnapped young people and regressed them into adult babies.Bro, he must either be high on drugs or the accident messed his brain up. Honestly! And the real kicker? He claims that the pop star that went missing, that Niall Horan? He's one of the babies. Bro, that man must be out of his mind!" James laughed so hard, he was crying and clutching his ribs.

"Where was this accident then?" Joe asked  suddenly alert

"Just passed the Old fuel dump , South bound." James said as he finally stopped laughing and pulled himself together.

 THe old fuel dump...what a coincident. Well, it would be if Joe believed in coincidence, but he didn't. "And was he forced off the road? What damage to the vehicle?" Joe queried 

"Joe, seriously. The guy is off his mind. He wasn't forced off the road, and there was no girl." James was dismissive.

"James" Joe shouted. "Get that car checked for any sign of damage that wasn't caused by the accident. And get forensics to check it inside out. Now!" Joe continued to yell.

"Ok, Ok. keep your shirt on" James was now irritable. Why the h*ll was Joe so worked up about some stupid accident caused by a man clearly off his mind with drugs or drink.. He stood up and stomped out, slamming the door behind him. Joe winced as pain shot through his head. He was furious with James. The whole Horan investigation hadn't been conducted properly, mistakes had been made that probably delayed them finding the truth. He wouldn't let it happen again. He went back to the file and then started drawing up timelines, locations and began to marry all the information together as he waited for the report. Eventually, he threw down his pen. He was going to visit this accident victim himself.