Too Close

Liam had dark circles under his eyes and Zayn didn't look much better. Niall had been crying on and off all day and night since his appointment with Doctor Andrews. Despite the Motrin and teething gel, Niall's tiny mouth had become more and more inflamed . His throat was also looking raw from the constant crying and screaming . Niall  wouldn't even  eat and was already losing the weight he'd put on. The only thing he would drink were the bottles of ice cold water that Liam gave him. It soothed him for a time by helping to cool his gums but the cold drink affected his delicate tummy and made him cry from the added pain of an upset stomach. Both adults were glad that it was nearly time to take Niall back to the hospital where his wisdom teeth would be extracted.

"He's finally asleep" Liam muttered, as he carefully transferred Niall's small body into Zayn's arms. "I'll shower and dress then take him back so you can do the same." Liam tottered into the bathroom that adjoined their bedroom and was soon under the hot shower. The water soothed muscles that ached from constantly having to hold Niall. He wanted to stay there all day but knew he had to give his husband a chance. Zayn had been fantastic, refusing to sleep himself  and constantly walking Niall around the house in an effort to sooth the upset lad. Liam stepped out of the shower and wrapped a towel around himself. Once back in the bedroom, he dressed quickly then carefully took Niall back into his own arms. Zayn smiled gratefully, pecked Liam lightly on the lips, and hurried to take his own shower. It was only 5am but Niall had to be at the hospital very early so that the pre operative routines could be carried out.

"The diaper bag is ready, I've put it in the car" Zayn told Liam who nodded in acknowledgement. "Where's his stuffie , I don't want any unavoidable meltdowns if he hasn't got it. This past few days has been enough."

"It's in his crib" Liam replied and watched as Zayn dashed up the stairs, returning very quickly, the giraffe toy in his large hand. "Right, all set?" Liam asked. Zayn nodded and both men left the house, Liam cuddling a still sleeping Niall. Zayn hurried ahead of Liam and had the back door of his car open. He'd already got an adult sized carseat in place so Liam was able to buckle Niall safely in. Liam moved slowly and gingerly as he didn't want to wake Niall. The silence was wonderful.

When they arrived at  Peter Pan Hospital, Liam bit his lip nervously. He hated that his baby was going to have to have surgery again. At least this time it was planned and not the life saving emergency surgery Niall had undergone when he fell out of the first floor window of the Tomlinson house when he and Harry had tried to escape. Even so, Liam couldn't stop feeling anxious.

"He'll be fine, babe" Zayn said reassuringly as he took in his husband' s anxious face. "And Niall needs to have this done, he can't stay in pain like this."

"I know, Zee, But he's so tiny." Liam replied. "But you're right, he can't stay in pain. These last few days have been torture for all of us. Come on, let's take him in". Liam climbed out of the passenger seat of the car and opened the back door of the vehicle and carefully undid the buckles on the carseat. Unfortunately Niall woke up and his screams filled the air. Liam lifted him up and cuddled him into his chest. cooing softly to the distraught boy. Zayn, who had also exited the car, grabbed the diaper bag and Niall's stuffie , then closed the car doors.

"Come on, babe" Zayn urged, "Let's get him inside" and he led the way through the swing doors and walked up to the Reception desk. " We've brought Niall Malik-Payne in for his operation" he told the smiling lady at the desk.

"Ah yes, I have him on my list" She picked up the phone and pressed a button. "Niall Malik-Payne has arrived " she announced when the call was answered.She listened to the response then hung up. " If you'd just like to take a seat, a nurse will be with you shortly. Oh poor lamb" she cooed as Niall continued to cry "I hate it when small babies are in pain. Anyway, just make yourselves as comfortable as you can.