Break Through!

A/N  : My baby is due on the 14th so I am trying to update before as I may be missing for a short time. It's only a short one, sorry, but sitting  for any length of time is very uncomfortable right now

Joe raced to his car and drove out of the town as fast as he could legally go, searching for a spot where he could hide. He had no idea which way, if any, Zayn would take leaving the town. Maybe that's where he lived and Joe had blown the chance to locate him by not following him. He prayed luck was on his side. Eventually he found the perfect hiding place and pulled his car into the shadows of some trees and bushes that lined the road. He could see any traffic coming but he, himself, was hidden from view. He settled down to wait.

It was gradually getting darker and the road had remained empty. Joe sighed to himself, his plan had failed. He was just about to start up the car and pull out of his hiding place when the sound of an approaching vehicle was heard. He froze in place. Peering into the gloom, he saw a black Range Rover pass by , with Zayn  at the wheel, another man in the passenger seat. Joe waited until the car was out of sight then he pulled out, speeding up just enough to see the vehicle in the distance. Joe kept his car lights off. Dangerous, he knew, but the road was deserted and he didn't want to attract Zayn's attention in any way. He followed behind and watched as Zayn finally turned down a rough and bumpy dirt track  and disappeared from view. Joe slowed down and noted a faded and battered sigh declaring it was the site of a disused fuel dump. A fuel dump! And hadn't Greg Horan swore he'd seen Zayn  at an abandoned fuel dump and been helped by him, when his car had overheated? Finally, he had a  break through. Joe felt the excitement start to bubble in his stomach. He drove on, heading back to his home. He finally had something to go on!

Zayn had dropped Louis off at his home then crept into the dark and quietness of his own house. He felt sick to his stomach with anxiety. Of all the people to literally bump into, why did it have to be Joe? And Zayn had seen the flicker of recognition in Joe's eyes. F,ck! He mounted the stairs slowly, shoulders slumped. They had to leave ....,,and soon. Zayn took a deep breath and slowly pushed open the bedroom door. Liam was asleep, his arm stretched out so his hand was resting on Niall's small tummy as he slept  in his bassinet, beside the kind sized bed of his parents. Zayn went and stood next to the small lad and looked down at him, his eyes tear filled as he thought of the danger they were now all in, just because he carelessly bumped into Joe.

Zayn stood under the hot water of the shower, his thoughts a tangled mess. He knew they had to leave, and soon. They couldn't risk staying here, it was far too dangerous. He and Louis had nearly everything in place to leave. Just another day or two, then they could leave. But did they go back to the cabin in Montana or head for the small island they had bought. Both were off the grid and they'd be safe in either place. The island, Zayn decided, that was the best place. Mind made up, Zayn stepped out of the shower and wrapped a towel around his hips. He grabbed another towel and roughly dried his hair before returning to the bedroom. Liam hadn't stirred and Niall was murmuring softly in his sleep, his paci having fallen out of his mouth. Zayn picked it up and carefully slid it between Niall's plump lips, smiling as the lad instantly sucked on it, making it bob cutely. Zayn knew he couldn't let his baby go, he had to make sure they got away from here. He stood for a few more minutes watching Niall sleep then went to his own bed and climbed in carefully, so as not to disturb his sleeping husband. He snuggled up to Liam, spooning him gently. He was exhausted and tomorrow  was going to be a long and stressful day. His eyes closed and sleep claimed him.

Mark crept into the small hospital room where Patience was sleeping soundly. She was gradually recovering from the nasty virus that had made so many of the Littles very sick. She was due to be discharged tomorrow and he knew that couldn't happen. He had to act now. He slowly and carefully lowered the side of the crib and lifted her swaddled body into his arms. He'd been tampering with the regression drugs and he knew she would soon be returning to her adult mind if he wasn't able to continue doing so. He couldn't let it happen, it would ruin everything. He carried her to the door and cracked it open. The corridor was empty, the lighting dimmed for the night. He cautiously walked  along, praying Patience wouldn't wake and cry. Relax, he told himself, you sedated her, she won't wake. He released a breath he didn't know he had been holding as he turned the corner and saw the emergency exit ahead of him. Quietly he moved towards it then, glancing around to make sure they were still alone, he opened the door and slipped out into the dark night. He had to force himself to walk calmly and quietly to his car. He fumbled for his car keys and opened the back door. A baby seat was already in place and he swiftly buckled Patience into the seat before closing the door and hurrying to the front of the car. Climbing into the driver's seat, he closed the door and started the engine.