I Promise You.........

"Li, calm the f.ck down" Zayn said as he shook Liam by the shoulders. "Li,now!" Zayn's voice was commanding  and had the effect of stopping Liam's incoherent torrent of words. "Better?" Zayn's golden brown eyes stared into his husbands  deeper brown ones. Liam took a deep breath, then another, and nodded. "Good. Now I'm going to make us both a cup of  coffee , then you can tell me what's got you so worked up." Zayn's voice was quieter now, more gentle. He took  a quick worried glance at the bassinet as he passed it on his way into the kitchen, but Niall was still sleeping seemingly quite calmly, apparently undisturbed by his daddy's meltdown.

"Here, babe" Zayn said as he reentered the den and handed a mug of coffee to Liam who took it with hands that shook slightly. Zayn sat next to him and put a comforting hand around his younger husbands shoulders. "Now, babe, what got you so upset? Niall's fine, we're fine, so.....?"

"It was the radio" Liam finally managed to say. "I was listening to the radio. You and Niall were both sleeping, and I wanted to stay awake, in case...you know...if the baby needed me." Liam's voice faded into silence and he twisted his coffee mug nervously in his hands. Zayn waited patiently but Liam didn't continue.

"You were listening to the radio and...." Zayn  finally prompted.

"I was just listening, you know the station that does all the older stuff?" Liam replied.  Zayn nodded and waited. Liam took a deep breath and continued. "Well, the DJ spoke about Niall, about his vanishing, then he played Niall's last song...you know.."This Town."  I had my eyes shut, just listening to him singing" Zayn nodded again then the dam burst and Liam whisper shouted. "I don't know, Zi, Niall started trying to thrash about, despite being swaddled and and his face, Zayn. The expression on his face!. What if he was remembering. Zayn " Liam looked into his husband's eyes, "Zi, I'm scared".

Zayn leant forward and placed his mug down on the coffee then pulled Liam's mug  out of his hand and put it down next to his own, before pulling him into a tight hug. "Babe, Niall's sleeping off the anaesthetic, he's in pain from the operation , it was probably nothing." Zayn spoke reassuringly though he had to admit to himself that what Liam had  just told him was a cause for concern. He'd worry about it later. Now he just wanted to calm down his husband. "Look, we'll  see how the baby acts when he's awake. And make sure he doesn't hear any of his music. Disney and nursery rhymes only, yeah?".  Zayn pulled back and looked into Liam's face and smiled comfortingly. "It will be ok, babe".

Zayn pulled a  blanket off the back of the couch and tucked it around Liam's sleeping form. He had finally succumbed to sleep after Zayn had assured him that he was sure that there was nothing to be worried about and that he, Zayn, would look after the baby whilst Liam napped. "You need it , babe" he had told Liam. "Even the bags under your eyes have bags!" Liam had laughed tiredly but had taken Zayn's advice and had curled up on the couch, unwilling even in sleep, to be too far from his baby. Once Liam was snoring softly Zayn went and stood looking down at Niall whose  long eye lashes were fluttering and his small mouth opening and closing, his pacifier had long since been abandoned.

"Hey, baby boy" Zayn had said softly as he he picked up Niall once the small lad's blue eyes were open and the boy was whimpering due to pain. "Baba's little boy needs some nice medicine to take the pain away." he cooed as he carried Niall out of the room and up the stairs to the master bedroom. He lay Niall down carefully on the bed, well away from the edge, then hurried to get the pain medication for his son.  Niall had mastered the art of rolling over but he was swaddled and, though Zayn was confident the boy couldn't move at present, he was still cautious. When Zayn returned, Niall was exactly where he had been placed but was wriggling in an irritated manner. Zayn was quick to squirt the medication into the back of Niall's mouth then put in Niall's paci so that the lad couldn't spit it out again. Once he was sure that wasn't  going to be the case, Zayn unwrapped the blanket from the boy whose arms and legs instantly started jerking about in the manner of small babies. Zayn cooed at the sight then lifted him up and carried him to the changing table that occupied a corner of the room. Zayn expertly stripped off the onesie then the diaper which was , by now, soaked through and leaking. Zayn winced at the sight of the reddened skin around Niall's area. Making up his mind, he carried Niall into the adjoining bathroom and, one handedly, prepared a bath, pouring in a measure of lavender scented bubble bath knowing the smell  both would sooth  and relax Niall just as much as the warm water  would. Zayn felt relieved as he watched Niall's face  look calm, obviously enjoying the feeling of the water on his sore skin. Zayn let the boy lay back in the water, supporting his neck and head carefully. After a few minutes Zayn grabbed a soft cloth with his free hand and gently washed Niall's soft skin, being very cautious around his private areas. Despite his gentleness, Niall still cried at the contact on his very sore skin and Zayn spoke soothingly to him, making Niall look up into his face, blue eyes swimming with tears.