In Plain Sight

Serena cringed as the alarms rang out, shrieking out their danger warning. Starting to panic, she hurriedly shoved a few more boxes into the back of her car then raced into the house to collect the children. Harry was crying in fright and she did her best to sooth him as she picked him up and carried him out to the car, strapping him into his seat before running back into the house to get Patience. The 'toddler' was quiet, eyes wide as Serena scooped her up. Soon she was also buckled into her seat. Serena scrambled into  the driver's seat and hastily switched on the car engine. She was now in a high state of panic and slammed her foot down on the accelerator. The car shot forward and Serena lost control as the car powered across the street into the neighbours large tree. Serena hadn't put on her seatbelt and her body shot forward against the dashboard. The horn began to sound continuously and both children, trapped  in the back of the now smoking car , screamed in absolute terror.

Zayn was just closing the van door when he saw vehicles driving down the street rapidly, lights flashing. He took a brief glance then raced into the house, locking the door behind himself.

"They're here. It's too late. We have to hide!" He shoved Liam and Louis towards the hidden basement door. "Go......." he yelled as he pressed the concealed button that allowed the panel to slide back, revealing the entrance to their lock-down hiding place. He could hear the shouts of the men outside as they began hitting the solid front door.

"Niall! Niall" Liam screamed, trying to pull free from Zayn's vice like grip. The pounding on the front door increased and Zayn knew they had just seconds, He had to take control or they'd be caught.

"No!" Zayn screamed back.. "We need to hide. It's over, LI" He pushed Liam through the door and guided him down the steps, Louis closely behind. Zayn quickly turned and the panel slid back into place, hiding the apartment from sight. It was just in time as the front door gave away under the determined assault and men poured into the house, guns drawn.

The three men cowered in the small apartment under the house. They were safe but for how long? They stood there, almost holding their breath, as they heard the sounds of men tearing through the house, searching it.

"Now what?" Liam finally broke the silence. "We can't stay here forever. And what about our baby?" Liam felt tears pouring down his cheeks. Zayn stared into space as it fully hit him that they had been separated from their baby and that this was the end. Niall would be gone, if and when, they managed to get out of this mess. Louis wandered about the small place , thinking of Serena and his two children. Had she got away? Were they hidden in their lock down apartment?

"Joe...we found him! He was in a giant pram in the back yard." a tall, lanky police officer entered the kitchen, the small body of Niall Horan cradled in his arms. Niall was screaming in terror . The noise was upsetting him and he was surrounded by unfamiliar faces. All he wanted was his daddy and his Baba. Where were they?'

"Mark Jarvis was right" Joe said bitterly as he looked at the distressed lad, dressed in a onesie, a paci clipped to it. "They really have regressed these adults. Take him out to the paramedics and get him checked over. They'll be taking them to the hospital to be looked after. I just hope these drugs wear off." The officer nodded and carried Niall out to one of the waiting ambulances. "Right guys, keep searching". The men dispersed , fanning out.

"We can't stay here forever" Zayn said . " We need a plan."

"I may have one" Louis replied. He  had emerged from the small bedroom, his arms full of clothing.Zayn and Liam looked at him in confusion."I think that I've  just found the solution We'll hide in plain sight."

"Zayn, buzz your hair short. Li, shave your beard. I'll do mine. Hurry!" Louis commanded and both men followed his directions.

"Why?" Zayn suddenly asked.