Chapter 95 - The Battle of Hogwarts • The Memoirs of Sophialine

"Are you?" I watched as Mrs Quisk, the Housekeeper, closed up to my mother. Sophie leaned over the stick that was placed near the sink and breathed in heavily.

"I am," she said. Mrs Quisk leaned forward to embrace my mother, excited. Sophialine smiled for a moment but when Mrs Quisk couldn't see her anymore, she sat down on the cold floor of the bathroom and cried herself to sleep.

She was woken up sometime later by the opening of the door.

"My love!" The young man was not Voldemort. It was Tom Riddle. His eyes were the same color as mine, a beautiful man, not a monster. His skin, however, was already getting dry, his lips were full of dry skin and drawn back - probably the first signs of the making of Horcruxes. I knew that during the time Voldemort was with my mother, he made three or four of them.

Tom kneed next to Sophie to see if she was alright. "What has happened? Are you alright?"

"I am fine, Tom. I can't believe how tired I was... I must have fallen asleep on the floor. That was silly of me..." she said, avoiding to look at him, in fear of him noticing her red eyes.

"Oh, well, you could catch a cold! You shouldn't have..." he said. Sophie stood and tried to change the subject with her silence. "No worries," said Tom. "Dinner is ready, Mrs Quisk tells me. You should get dressed and come downstairs," he said, then kissed her lips and left her alone in the bathroom.

Sophie looked at herself in the mirror and didn't blink. Then she looked down at her belly and put and hand on it, closing her eyes.

She was touching me.

*     *     *

During dinner, my mother's owl arrived. It brought two letters and both of them were from her friends.

"My friends have written to me," she said smiling and reading the names of Sirius and Remus.

"They still send letters?" asked Tom taking a bite and staring at the letters as Sophie was reading them, probably trying to figure out what these dangerous people were writing to his wife. "You will not write back, Sophialine," said Tom.

"Oh, and why not?"

"You know why, Sophialine. I forbid you to write to these blood traitors that dared to lay eyes on you!" shouted Tom.

"That is not true, and you know it!" said Sophie.

"You will not write to them, Sophie!" yelled Tom and stood from his chair to look down at my mother, judging her.

"Don't do this, Tom. Please. I have something to tell you," said Sophie.

Tom sat down but didn't ask what that something was. Sophie cringed when he ignored her.

"Sometimes you get me so angry..." said Tom and continued with his dinner.

"I have something to tell you," Sophie repeated, hoping that this time her husband would hear her.

"And what is that?" Sophie had his attention now. He drank some of his wine and looked at her brown eyes.

"Well, as a matter of fact, there is something important you have to know. I am not yet absolutely certain that it is happening but-"

"Oh, what is it then? Don't keep me waiting!" said Tom and smiled with suspense.

"I am pregnant, Tom," said Sophie.