Chapter Three

After training, Harry made brunch while Meredith was set upstairs with her hair and makeup being done. The Duchess of Cambridge had the ability to do her own hair and makeup, but Meredith hadn't gotten there yet. She needed more practice and practice was to happen with the rest of her life.

The two people doing her hair and makeup didn't speak much to her, and when they did, every sentence was ended in "ma'am." It was short and to the moment. Meredith wasn't allowed to move anyway. Her dress was pulled out, weighted down, and Meredith stepped into it. Her shoes had a bit of a heel, making Meredith the same height of Harry.

Walking down the stairs, Meredith greeted Harry with a kiss on the cheek. He turned and granted her with a kiss on the lips.

"Are you ready?"

Meredith plopped down on a seat. "Don't I look ready?"

"You look beautiful." Harry put food down in front of her. "As usual."

"Are you nervous? I could really screw up today."

"But you won't, so it doesn't matter."

After brunch and when the time hit, a sleek, black car pulled up in the back of Kensington Palace. Meredith stared forward and took a deep breath. Leaving the flat, Harry took her hand, running his thumb over the back of her hand.

The road was smooth and calm. Her eyes traveled among the buildings they passed. For most people, no one even glanced at that car. It was just another black, sleek, posh car in London. Whoever was inside wasn't a matter of curiosity. In the front seat was Bodyguard Bill, and his eyes scanned the crowds.

Meredith watched the outside too, especially as a crowd begin to grow, and like the crowd knew, the sound grew, like a thunder. The closer the car came, the noise was deafening. A smile broadened on his face, and Meredith plastered a polite smile on her face. Suddenly she was scared that she might screw up. The world slowed around her.

Harry kept his hand holding hers. When it came to a stop, Bodyguard Bill was out of the car immediately, opening up Meredith's door. Harry was out the other side before Meredith even knew what happened. Setting her feet outside first, Meredith was desperate to keep her knees together and her back straight. However the back being kept straight meant Meredith running her head into the door frame.

Fuck. Her eyes glanced around. No one noticed, no one noticed. Her eyes came to the camera crew in front of her. Shit. Meredith stood and at least did that well enough. Harry came around the car.

When they stepped forward, the crowds roared. Children held out flowers, and Meredith took them gently. Her nose started to stuff from all the allergies. Putting on a nice smile, she walked along the barrier. The crowds were massive today: Harry was known to bring out women and children, but it was the first event for Prince Harry's fiancee, it was time for the whole world to be watching.

Harry put a hand on the small of her back, saying, "Do you see the monument?"

Meredith's green eyes focused on the monument and said, "It's nice."

He laughed. "This way."

Leading her way from the crowds and toward the building, Harry waved and Meredith followed the movement. Keeping her fingers together, it wasn't a harsh wave. It was more of raising of the hand and moving her wrist a bit. It was supposed to make the pictures come out better. Their attention was turned back to the event at hand.

It was supposed to be quick and easy as the monument was on display outside. The cold whipped around Meredith, yet she wasn't cold. Her thick skin protected against the cold. Going inside, the heat was too much. The museum sparkled under the high lights. The new museum opened to show the generosity of humans after terrible terrorist attacks.

"It is the first museum in the world to show the humans that mean to help others, especially in difficult moments," said the curator. "These are from the Seven-Seven Attacks, which were on the transit system of London." While it was directed at Meredith, Meredith was well aware of the history. "And these are from the attacks in London during twenty-seventeen on Parliament. Over there are stories of the innocents and helpers of Manchester attacks."

"The museum expands outside of London?" Meredith asked.

"Yes. We want to show the world there is yet good in the world," the curator continued, showing Meredith and Harry the next wing. "Even across the world, we look to the people who wish to do good, which is more than police and doctors. It is just normal people, who know there is good to be done."

After finishing up with the new museum, the couple gave thanks and then returned outside. The heat had threatened to strangle Meredith, yet she welcomed the cold. It wasn't too bad, even though Harry moved through it briskly. Meredith gave a friendly smile to the crowds as they got into the car.

"You did well," Harry said as the car started forward.

"Are you sure I didn't look bored?" While it had been interesting, Meredith had a hard time keeping a kind and attentive look. Her face looked naturally angry, which was a constant battle to be a nice person.

"You did well," Harry cheered. "Have you given more thoughts about which events to do?"

"No." Harry and her instructor were desperate to know, but it was something she might have to fall into.

"You like Scotland," Harry said, "so maybe we can get you some Scottish charities."

"The Highlands safety and renewal?"

Harry shrugged. "It sounds appropriate, and you love the ocean. So environment concerns."

"Probably tourism at some point?"

"We are one leading reasons people visit the United Kingdom," Harry said proudly.

The British government made about 26.2 billion pounds a year from tourism to the monarch's castles, palaces and other royalties-- and that was just tourism, which didn't the lands or other royal amenities. More was expected with a royal wedding in the works of Meredith and Harry. There were possibly more reasons to keep the monarchy around then have it fall away.

Returning to Kensington Palace, Meredith was happy to fall down on the couch. Harry chuckled and sat beside her.

"It wasn't what you expected?" he asked with a smirk.

"Being nice is so hard," Meredith joked.