Chapter Five

When the time came to leave, Meredith did so after she was dressed with her hair and makeup properly done. However, it was different today. While this was the second event, the event was placed in downtown London for at risk children. It was more of physical day as they went to school with the children.

Stepping out of the black, sleek car that didn't fit in the buildings around, there wasn't the roar of crowds that there had been yesterday. The few people that glanced over didn't care or gave odd looks. The buildings were run down with heavy metal gates and flaking paint. Graffiti covered much of the surfaces. Trains clattered on the tracks nearby. Two photographs took pictures of the couple as they went inside.

"Good morning," said the headmaster as the couple entered, the paparazzi on their tails. Shaking hands, they were led down the classrooms of the primary school. A classroom had its door open, and Harry and Meredith were introduced. The children introduced themselves.

"You'll have to forgive me," Harry apologized. "I am terrible with names. I will try my hardest." The children loved him, obviously, and Meredith tried hard to fit in.

Taking half of the over crowded class due to budget cuts, Meredith stationed herself at different tables as the children had used work books to know. Some of the math problems had been done and erased. Others had things scribbled out. Sometimes things were worn and torn, and this made it impossible to read.

"You went to university?" asked a student.

"Yes. I just graduated." It felt like forever ago. "Do you want to go to university?"

"I want to be a doctor."

"What kind of doctor?"

The student shrugged. "I just want to help people." The child worked. "What did you get in university?"

"A writing major--"

"You like to write?"

"I love to write," Meredith said. "It makes me very happy."

"Are you good at it?"

"I think so. I wrote essays and stories and--"

"What's the biggest essay you ever wrote?"

Meredith had to think about it. "Twenty pages, or so." Compared to others, twenty pages weren't a lot. However, a twenty page paper happened in high school to Meredith, not in university. "I also got a German minor--"

"You speak another language?"

"I try."

"Speak German to me." Out of respect, the girl put down her pencil.

Meredith smiled. "Hallo, Tiffany. Ich bin Meredith. Ich bin eine fast prinzessin. Ich mag lesen und schreiben und tanzen. Was sonst?"

The girl smiled. "I wish I could learn a language."

"Warum nicht? What language would you learn?"

The girl shrugged. "Why did you choose German?"

"I didn't do well at Spanish in high school."

"Are you going to learn another language?" the student asked.

"Hopefully."

"Which one?"

Meredith repressed a shrug, since it was unladylike. "I'm trying to decide between Welsh and Gaelic. I think I might try my hand at Gaelic before Welsh; it seems a bit easier, more like German." Meredith tried to keep the girl focused on her studies, and she turned her attention to another student.

Harry glanced over, giving her a proud smile.

Going around the room, Meredith moved from student to student. Some students were more than happy to speak to her, while others couldn't care less. During this time, she tried to help with work in class. She paid attention as the teacher moved onto the next topic. It was a packed day, but that was usual days. It was the goal to fit in as much as possible with overfilled classrooms, in hope that it might prepare the students.

When the time came for a break, the children weren't allowed to play outside. It was chalked up to weather, but apparently there was bad weather every day. The children ran around the broken gymnasium. Deflated basketballs were brought out, and other children tried jump rope and tag.

Walking over, Harry stood next to her. His blue eyes watched the children in all their happiness. "You're doing well. I think you've found your calling."

Meredith kept her voice low, "Children are more of your thing, but I do enjoy this." She didn't enjoy the racial and money disparity, and those were bigger problems to deal with. She didn't know how to help yet, but she would find a way.

"Princess! Princess! Princess!" Meredith wasn't a princess yet, and perhaps the title was never hers-- but the children called her princess anyway. "Come play!"

She did what they liked, which meant catching a basketball. The ball went up and down as Meredith dribbled, showing off her skills. It had been a while since Meredith played basketball, but she had played the sport for three years of her life. Eventually she gave up basketball because it interfered with dance-- and because she was terrible at it. The only reason why she played and why people wanted her to play was because Meredith was six feet tall.

Meredith tried to pass it back, yet they told her to shoot it. Her first panic was she wasn't going to make it, only because the ball might bounce off and hit a student. Taking a deep breath, Meredith shot the ball, leaving her arm to arch, and thankfully-- thankfully-- the ball went into the hoop.

The children went wild.

Not having done anything too impressive, Meredith smiled with confusion.

After of the break, it was back to cramming everything into the day. Harry and Meredith bid them good bye, with many hugs given. When the two reached Kensington Palace again, Meredith happily laid down on the bed.

"We are having dinner guests tonight," Harry said while laying down next to her. Meredith rolled over and closed her eyes. "The chef is already preparing food."

"Do I need to dress up?" Meredith asked.

"No, but I won't suggest PJs."

"Are these people important?"

Harry shrugged. "It depends on who you speak to."

"Do I think these people is important?"

"Yes."

Meredith took a deep breath. There were many people Meredith thought they were important, so it didn't help. None of Harry's hints helped. "Is it someone in your family?"

"No."

Groaning, Meredith stared at the ceiling. She so badly wanted a nap. "I'm tired. Who's coming to dinner, Harry?"

"Old friends," he chuckled. "We have a lot in common. We work toward the same goals and all."

"Who!" Meredith demanded.

"You remember President Obama and First Lady Obama, right?" he asked. "He was in Berlin a few days ago. He'll be in Scotland tomorrow, but for tonight, they're our guests."

Meredith wasn't tired anymore.