Chapter Fifty-Five

This dress was weightless. Falling around her with grace, it was easy to move. While the dress wanted to show off her best assets, it did its best to be comfortable. The dress went a little past her knees, puffing out after the rib cage and before the hips. Instead of stepping into heels, Meredith slid her feet into the nice flats she was poised to wear.

Kyra, Rachel and Chloe stood behind their newlywed friend, fixing the puffs and and wrinkles. Meredith's hair was placed into a bun, locking it into place. Her veil and tiara had been long removed. Her makeup was re-freshened. More perfume was placed around.

"More alcohol?" Kyra asked.

"No." Meredith was hot enough already. "I have to be able to remember all the names."

"Why don't you get a real party?" Chloe asked.

"Because," Rachel interrupted, "her life is no longer hers."

Meredith's eyes flickered over to Rachel, and she swallowed.

"That's not what I meant, Mere," Rachel said. "I mean, your life isn't your own, but now you must be presented to everyone. You'll dance away from royal families and politicians and celebrities from around the world."

Meredith kept the same face. "I am not amused."

"There is the Britishness now!" Kyra said, taking another drink.

"You need to be sober too." Meredith took the alcohol from Kyra, and then she took a swig of it too.

"Do you want to go over the names one more time?" Rachel asked, holding the flashcards that Jessica had given. It didn't matter because Rachel knew them all by heart.

"No." Meredith sighed. "It will only make me more nervous to meet them." There were people Meredith had met before, but now she was to meet all of them. From the moment they stepped in front of them, she was to remember their ranks and titles.

When the time came, a knock came to her door, and Meredith's friends anxiously fixed her dress. Meredith drew back her shoulders and stared forward, finding her balance again.

As she walked out, Harry, dressed in a black tux, smiled. His confidence and joy filled her too. She became relaxed. For the rest of the evening, he was all hers, throughout the party and beyond. He wouldn't let her fail tonight, and she wouldn't let him fall.

"I know I've said it a million times today, and I know you would rather me compliment you on your brains," Harry said, "but you are beautiful."

"When I take off this dress-- and all the Spanx-- I hope you know, it's all a lie."

Harry shook his head.

"They used some really good makeup on me." Meredith's arm slid through his arm, and they were off.

Buckingham Palace's ballroom was stunning in usual fashion with its red carpet and gold trimmings. Large windows on the edge let in natural night, but there were enough candlesticks around to light up even the darkest corner. Crystal glass chandeliers hung from the ceiling high, which was carved. This was all the usual fashion. The furnishing for the reception on add to the glory.

When Harry and Meredith entered, everyone already had been standing. The Queen had gone in first with Charles and Camilla. William and Catherine entered next. Then there was a pause as the music blossomed, and then it was them.

With thunderous applause, the Duke and Duchess of Windsor walked into the room. Harry's arm was securely locked into place, and Meredith kept an even pace with him.  A graceful smile fell onto her face, but her lips were closed. This smile was well practiced, and when in a room with royals and dignitaries, it was necessary.