Chapter Fifty

A boom of voices echoed around her as they left the gates, and the voices only grew louder as the car grew closer. The few mile long stretch felt like eternity as the car lurched forward. Meredith's only thought was coming closer to Harry. As she watched the crowds go by in a blur, Meredith pasted a smile on her face, but it was all for naught. People surrounded her on all sides, all hoping to get a glance of her, and she wasn't even to St. Paul's Cathedral yet.

St. Paul's Cathedral arose in front of her, and more people packed the streets. Not that Meredith wanted to think a lot in this situation, but the crowds deafened her. Her family smiled happily, like he usually did, but even he felt the rumble of voice, like the pavement shake under the car, like the car trembled. Union Jack flags waved high and mighty in the air.

As Meredith went past in the American car, loud screams and quick waves came, and Meredith did her best to remain calm under all the creeping eyes. She tried not to whip around, and she certainly try to show herself as someone who knew what they were doing.

The cars came to a stop, and the crowds roared like thunder. Kyra, Rachel and Chloe stepped out of the car with their flowers in hand. The doors were held wide open, and the archbishop and other members of the clergy waited.

Meredith's car rolled up to the front, and her friends waited to be of assistance. This task had been practiced many times and was probably the hardest thing for them all day. Her father went out the other side and came around as her own door opened. The crowd screeched with anticipation.

Taking her father's hand, he helped her out of the car and onto the red carpet that was damp and a little dirty. Rachel was first to grab her white wedding dress and picked it up. As Meredith moved forward, Chloe grabbed the rest of it in her delicate hands.

Marveling for a moment, Meredith looked out to the crowds, and the smile fell from her face. Her mouth hung open. Her eyes grew wide. "Uh-oh." Meredith tried to swallow her fears, but they all threatened to vomit all over her dress. Gulping again, Meredith saw the crowd was larger than she thought they would be, by a lot.

"Meredith," Kyra, her best friend and Maid of Honor, whispered.

"Wow" was all Meredith said. There were so many people, all crowded together and all screaming at the top of their lungs, and all of them pushed each other to get a look at her. Slowly, a smile reformed on her face. It was loud and natural, unlike the royal one she was meant to wear, but at least it looked genuine.

Meredith's father appeared by her side and held out his arm, and she slid in her own. Kyra nodded her head and gave an encouraging smile before handing her friend's flowers over and taking position.

At a pace they practiced, Meredith walked forward until she stood fully in the building, train and all. It was difficult as the train rested on the ground and her friends moved it about to straighten it. Not originally in the design, artistic freedom was taken by the designer, but stunning she did look. The train matched Princess Diana's in length: twenty-five feet or seven and a half meters.

The dress was only heavy in the back, and the veil flowed down to cover at least some of the long train. Her white and pointy shoes peeked out in the front, making it easy to walk. When the children were set off down the aisle, a minute later her friends walked on. The archbishop and the important members of the clergy went, and then it was her turn.

Train of the dress dragging on the red carpet, Meredith kept an even pace. It was back to the pasted smile as her eyes tried not to wander down; it was only a matter of time before she tripped. One foot after another, it was a boring and long march. Her train threatened to get stuck on anything. All the practice she had with the train didn't prepare her for this moment.

St. Paul's Cathedral was massive, bigger than Westminster Abbey where William and Catherine had their wedding, and people were packed in. She didn't know most of the faces, but she realized she needed to. Important people from around the world gathered in this cathedral to see her. She wasn't going to be queen, but everyone turned out anyway.

It was only a question of how many people watched on the television and online. If there were a million people packed into the street, which was the estimate, how many people around the world watched her every moment? Cameras were above, behind, off to the sides and head. Surrounded, she had no room to make a mistake.

Her hands were so sweaty that Meredith took her mind off her feet and onto her hands, where the bouquet of purple flowers waited. Her heart beat too fast, and her mind wandered. Blood rushed past her ears, but she was so sure an organ played and a choir sang. It was all drowned out. Meredith swallowed again, trying to regain her surroundings.

Her father squeezed her hand, and Meredith rooted herself back into reality, not that it felt real. The cathedral was decked out in the all the latest wedding trends. (Granted, if they weren't wedding trends before, they would be after.)

Looking ahead, there Harry stood with his back to her, unable because of tradition to look back at her. Beside him stood his older brother, William, Duke of the Cambridge. In the wings stood the gentlemen and friends of Harry whom had brought down Meredith's friends and bridesmaids. She saw the finish line, and Harry was there.

Naughty like Harry in his heart, William glanced back, taking a look at Harry's future wife. Harry murmured something, and William chuckled, responding.

The music became louder as Meredith's mind cleared. Staring at Harry, Meredith knew exactly what she needed to do, but she kept beat. She wanted to run into Harry's arms, but tradition.

The archbishop walked up the stairs, and then the only two people standing on the red carpet were Meredith and her father. When the moment came, Harry turned and saw Meredith for the first time in her wedding past. Unable to contain his emotion, Harry became teary eyed. One escaped his eye, and he blinked them back.

Coming down the stairs, Harry met Meredith's father to take her. In a move he had been practicing for a while, Harry signed: I promise to take good care of her. Thank you.

Her father replied with his own: And she will take good care of you. Leaning over, her father kissed her on the cheek and then backed up.

Meredith watched her father sadly go, and then her attention turned to her almost-husband. Her looked wonderful, having shaved her; she almost hadn't recognized him. Her armed-forces uniform was well pressed, and it fit him well. Her hand hovered out and he smiled at her. Gently, she took it and became one with him.

"You okay?" he whispered as they took one step up the staircase.

"There are a lot of people outside." Her eyes wandered as they took up another step up.

"They cheered when they saw you." It was another step under their feet.

"I hope I didn't disappoint." Up another step, and they were almost there.

"Never." Harry so badly wanted to kiss her already, but he kept it for later. The soft, patted carpet cushioned as another step was left behind.

As soon as Harry and Meredith reached the top of the staircase, the choir and organ started up again, and "God Save the Queen" started to play. This was only the beginning.