Chapter Forty-One

Not ready to go home just yet, even though the paparazzi had decided to return, but her dad didn't want her staying around too long, Harry and Meredith headed to Duluth, Minnesota. Just across the bridge was Superior, Wisconsin, where Meredith had attended university. While it was summer, so many tourists were bound to be around, Harry still pushed for them to go.

A two and a half hour drive later, Duluth spread out in front of them. Like descending down from the clouds, Harry and Meredith drove down the long and twisty highway that led into downtown Duluth. Others car with more confidence blew past them. The high bridges that turned on a dime was hard to navigate for Harry, but Meredith, who drove, found it easy. Having done it enough times in her life-- in snow no less-- it was all simple.

Harry booked a place right on the canal, which was ballsy. It was all a hope that no one would notice them. But Harry told Meredith to have no fears when he pulled out a hat and sunglasses. It all made perfect sense to him.

Taking her hand, Harry pulled her outside, locking the door behind them. Suddenly like it didn't matter where they were, he kissed her deeply as the sun began to set in the distance. With a late start to the day, the drive had been long. While Meredith preferred going straight to bed, Harry promised sleep for later.

Leading her to the sand shores of Lake Superior, across the boardwalk, Harry curled his arms around her. He kissed her cheek. His lips ran through her long blonde hair, which smelt like mint. Harry whispered, "Too bad it's not an ocean."

Meredith glanced back, only for a second, to see how the light reflected from his face. Perfect little sun rays shone deep into his skin, making him look younger, if only for a second. "After spending four years here, I know how to pretend." Lake Superior was large enough that she imagined it well enough as an ocean.

Stepping away from Harry, Meredith took off her sandals and dipped her toes into the warmish water. To Harry, who tried next, he was easily chilled to the bone. Meredith laughed, not bothered. Her hot blood loved the cold. When it was winter in London, it was nothing but light jacket weather.

"Wimp," she called.

Harry splashed water up on her, and Meredith shrieked. She bounded backwards, kicking her feet up. He ran out of the water before any of it caught him.

"This is actually warm water."

"Oh, I know," he said. "I do remember this place in December. I'm surprised anyone could live up here."

"It's mild compared to Canada." Meredith winked.

Laughing, Harry splashed back into the water. His jeans became soaked, and the rest of Meredith's clothes were damp. Water wet her hair, and she flipped it around, getting Harry right in the face. He stumbled back, thankfully laughing. To the rest of the world, they looked crazy in love, which was good because they were crazy in love.

Something so light lifted off Meredith's chest as it became child's play with Harry. She hadn't realized she carried around the weight, but when it gone, it was like freedom. She was able to breathe again. She laughed again.

"Can I call a truce?" Harry asked.

"No." Meredith splashed water at him.

"Mere, make me a promise," he said.

Her green eyes slid across him. Promises were dangerous, but what could this one do? She already said yes to marriage. "What is it?"

"We'll bring our children back here," Harry responded. "We'll bring our children back to this spot. We'll bring our children back to your home. We'll bring our children here to show them where the rest of the world is."

"Are you scared of something?"

"I don't want them to get so used to the way of us-- or my life. " He kept his voice low, just in case anyone heard. "I want them to see how you grew up, and I want them know they can get that too."

Meredith walked over and wrapped her arms around him. "I promise."

"Say it," he begged. "Please."

"I promise to bring back our children to this very spot. I promise to show our children what my life was like before. I promise to show our children a world without royalty. I promise to show our children a little piece of me that they might not be able to see." She arched an eyebrow. "Is there anything else?"

"I could think of something else."

She squeeze him. "Now what would that be?"

"I love you, Meredith Rogue."

"I love you, Harry... Blah Blah?"

"So close."

"I really do believe I am really close."

"You are," Harry joked. "It's not Harry Blah Blah. It's Harry Blah Blah Blah."

"Windsor?"

"No Windsor."

Many of the tourists and locals had cleared off for the night. After the sun went down, it turned cold. With the impending fall and eventual winter, it turned even colder. Even to come to Duluth, it took some hot blood. There was always a chill in the air. The breeze threatened to knock anyone over.

"Mere, let's go back," Harry said.

Shaking her head, Meredith wandered across the old wood boards that creaked underneath her. She had walked here many times, mostly with Kyra. She would see Kyra, her best friend, tomorrow, and then Kyra was coming for the wedding. But the question was when? When would be next?

Meredith knew her place, and it was next to Harry. Meredith knew her home, and it was London. Meredith knew her best friend, and it was Kyra. Meredith knew she loved Harry, but with Kyra, it was different. The friendship didn't weaken with time spent away, but this was different now. Wanting to keep some sort of her old and ordinary life, she wanted to hang onto Kyra all that much more.

Stopping at the shore again, Meredith let out a sigh. Harry hovered behind her and then spoke, "Mere, I'm a wimp. I'm cold."

Turning back, she smirked at him. "It's good that I know exactly what will make you warm."