Chapter Fifty-One

"Dearly beloved," began the archbishop to the large congregation in St. Paul's Cathedral, "we are gathered here in the sight of God and in the face of this congregation to join together this man and this woman in holy matrimony, which is an honorable estate instituted of God himself signifying unto us the mystical union that is betwixt Christ and his Church, which holy estate Christ adorned and beautified with his presence and first miracle as he wrought in Cana of Galilee and is commended in holy writ to me honorable among all men, and therefore is not by any to be enterprised nor taken in hand unadvisedly, lightly or wantonly, but reverently, discreetly, soberly and in the fear of God duly considering the causes for which matrimony was ordained."

Meredith tried to listen to archbishop as she spoke, but her eyes traveled back to Harry. Unable to keep his eyes off her too, Harry's blue eyes flashed over, and he smirked. He turned his attention back man speaking, but it didn't work for Meredith. If she wasn't staring at Harry, she stared at the cathedral around her, where everything was beautifully designed.

"First, it was ordained for the increase of mankind, according to the will of God and that children might be brought up in the fear and nurture of the Lord and to the praise of his holy name," the archbishop continued.

"Secondly, it was ordained in order in order that the natural instincts and affections implanted by God should be hallowed and directed a rite, that those who are called of God to this holy estate should continue therein in pureness of living.

"Thirdly, it was ordained for the mutual society help and comfort that the one ought to have for the other, both in prosperity and adversity, into which holy estate these two persons present come now to be joined.

"Therefore, if any man can show any just cause why they may not lawfully be joined together, let him now speak, or else hereafter forever hold his peace." The archbishop's voice rang through the old building.

Silence followed for a full moment. People moved awkwardly in their seats. Someone coughed, and another sneezed. Awkwardness almost broke the room. Harry's blue eyes flipped to her, and Meredith challenged him with her own look.

Turning his attention to the prince, the archbishop spoke, "Henry Charles Albert David, wilt thou have this woman to thy wedded wife, to live together according to God's law in the holy estate of matrimony with thou love her, comfort her, honor and keep her in sickness and in health, and forsaking all other, keep thee only unto her so long as ye both shall live?"

His blue eyes sparkled with excitement. "I will," Harry vowed.

Satisfied with that answer, the archbishop turned to the bride: "Meredith Rogue, wilt thou have this man to thy wedded husband, to live together according to God's law in the holy estate of matrimony, with thou love him, comfort him, love him, honor and keep him, in sickness and in health, and forsaking all other, keep thee only unto him so long as ye both shall live?"

"I will," Meredith promised.

 It was back to the prince as the archbishop marched on, "I, Henry Charles Albert David--" 

"I, Henry Charles Albert David-- "

"--take thee Meredith Rogue--"

"-- take thee Meredith Rogue--"

"--to my wedded wife."

"To have and to hold from this day forward."

"For better or for worse."

"For richer or for poorer."

"In sickness and in health."