∞ of One

1

(January 27th, 2025)

C'est la vie.

This is life. The only three to four words that I can think of now that could describe everything.

Honestly, I really don't know how I ended up here, sipping my black coffee from the most expensive china in the world, as I watched my husband put the killing thing between his teeth in the balcony.

He's handsome, very handsome. He stood there; tall and confident, his front facing me as he leans on the bars with his elbows holding his weight. He was rather skinny, but muscular. He used to brag about his perfect body for years and, he always made sure that no one else was ever confident about theirs. His black hair was cut short and it suited his bronze skin perfectly. His big brown eyes, were of a very dark shade, slightly popping out of his sockets. It was like watching molten chocolate in every flavor. His lips were dark, full, and inviting. His nose; small and pointy while his hands were large and rough, but felt soft under my skin. He was such a tease.

Looking into his eyes, all I could see was the love that was once mine. That love was now incomplete as we struggled to be civil with each other. Jeremy was a very good liar, but his facial expressions always betrayed his intentions.

I could see it in his eyes. He didnt love me anymore but he forced himself to for reasons no one but him would ever know. He's no longer alive with me. The fire in his eyes, that he once had, had been put out. It was like a part of him needed to be somewhere else, with somebody else.

Remembering how he used to look at me, with so much love and care, the likes of which no one could compare to, was so difficult. He used to spend every waking moment with me. But now, that love was fading to non-existence. He needed something more, something that I didn't have or can't give him.

We had two kids, two kids of profound character, and of magnificent beauty; Dave and Lisa. They had my eyes and facial features. Lisa had my blonde hair, while Daves was black, matching his father's, both with the same beautiful bronze skin.

A lot of people criticized our relationship over the years because Jeremy was Brazilian and I was American. It wasn't something my family accepted, but we worked to not give it any thought.

My father would always tell me not to trust anybody. He would tell me; a girl is like a shard of glass, if it breaks into smaller fragments, you can't piece her together again.

I was shattered and Jeremy could no longer piece me together.

When I looked at Jeremy, I saw so much of my past and the way I loved him and made everything possible for us to be happy. I remembered our school days and thought about how happy we were, but, even then, I knew it would never last.

I still remember the day he asked me to be his girlfriend. It was the 26th of May. He called me at three in the morning.

"Hey, are we ever going to get married?", he had asked me, a hint of laughter in his voice.

It was an easy joke that the students in his 'clique' used to crack, making fun of us and how we always acted like a married couple.

"Jeremy, go back to sleep", I had told him, too tired to comprehend his idiocy.

Then he called me back at five in the morning.

"If you won't marry me, would you be my girlfriend?", he had asked me.

To say that I was shocked was an understatement. It was the last thing in this world that I had expected him to ask me. I didn't even like him then.