∞ of Four

(January 28th, 2025)

One of the many reasons why people hated mornings was mostly because of the sun. They hated it when the rays of sunlight fell upon them, on their eyes and all over their faces making them scrunch their noses in irritation and whine about it at an ungodly hour.

I rolled to the other side of my bed and groaned as I felt his hard rock chest against my back and my bare legs tangled with his. His huge arm was draped around my small waist. I tried to wriggle out of his grasp, but he was too strong for me to do that.

Ten Years and I still couldn't get used to him lying next to me in bed. Jeremy was barely home, his spent the first twelve hours of his day in the office, and once everything in his office was locked off, and he would work online at the café right across the street.

And he'd usually make it home by the time I was already up to get the snacks and kids ready for school.

It would be stupid of me not to suspect anything, I am. But I wasn't quite sure I wanted to question him about it. It didn't really bother me as much as it should have been.

Any moment, I could expect anything from him. The only difficult thing to do was explain to the kids why their father wouldn't put them to bed or why couldn't he make it to career's day at school?

Teachers often questioned me suspiciously about where my husband was and why he wasn't there when my kids were performing on stage or why wasn't he collecting their report cards. I had a hard time answering these kind of questions, but I didn't let them throw me off guard.

It was nothing a quick flip of my hair, a sharp smile couldn't fix and a 'He's kind of busy. Big business man and everything' followed by a wink.

I still remembered the day he asked me to marry him. It was the train wreck of the century.

We weren't really on speaking terms at that time and I was just walking around with Hana, it was just a few days after he left her and she was talking to me about it, we were at the park, right behind our medical university to which we all applied to together.

It was Jeremy's last year of high school, he and his class had applied to the same medical school and I followed after a year.

I could see him from the side trying to approach me; I just turn back away quickly and look back at Hana. She returned my smile and looked them. We walked in silence.

Jeremy suddenly appears in front of us and says, "Cassidy, I need to speak with you." He then looks at Hana and then back at me. "Privately."

I didn't like the way he said it, probably because it sounded more like a demand, rather than a request. "I'm sorry, but I do not want to speak with you."

I gently push him aside so that I can keep walking but he grabs my hand firmly and pulls me towards him. "Please listen to me." I don't say anything. I didn't want to say anything. "I like you."

Hana, who was still standing by the side, gasped loudly and I turned around quickly to look at her. She looked completely shocked and betrayed. I pull my hand away from Jeremy with as much force as I could muster up and run after her.

I could already feel the gaze of some of our classmates on us, but I try to ignore them and sit next to Hana on the bench by the street lamp at the side of the path walk.

"I can tell that you still like him. You feel the same way. You always did." Her voice is weak and croaky as if she swallowed something that scratched on the insides of throat, her eyes sunken.