Chapter 2 - James

Her legs are insanely long, and damn me, if her plunging neckline, which she suggestively presents to me, doesn't say more than the "Good morning, Mr. Marlow" her husky voice just breathed into my direction. She leans forward to grant me an even better look at her cleavage and lifts the corners of her shiny, pouty lips to an ambiguous smile. Everything about this woman screams, I want you. It's kind of disgusting. I mean, not that I'm not flattered, but I'm even more repulsed by such obvious advances. I know the female employees in this building think of me as one of those guys who never has any serious relationships and just sleeps around. I wonder who made that shit up.

"Good morning, Carla."

Contrary to what some in this company might think, I'm not a rude asshole, so I smile back at her - which obviously sends the wrong message because she bites her lower lip as a playful but nevertheless obscene response. This woman needs a boyfriend. ASAP. I quickly pass her desk and stride to the elevator.

On my way up I check my phone. I know I'm already a bit late but the confirmation on the screen sets me in frustration mode. 8:07. Not much time to prepare now for the meeting with Mr. Hunter. Of course, everything is ready to be presented but I like to go over the details again before every meeting. This way I can catch potential mistakes, miscalculations or typos my secretary loves to make. Speaking of her, if she is as punctual and prepared as always, I shouldn't have a thing to worry about. Apart from her passion for typos, she is one of the best people to ever work for me. Highly qualified, talented and smart. Unfortunately, also a bit socially awkward, rather clumsy, and lately somewhat absent-minded. But incredibly reliable when it comes to tasks I give her. Unfortunately, she doesn't have a sense of humor. Hunter thinks her name is Curtis, he just can't memorize her actual name, which is hilarious since Lewis is such a common name. I've been playing along and been teasing her a bit about it but she doesn't seem amused when I call her ....

"Miss Lewis?" I forget all about the name game as the elevator door opens and I see her. I see her, standing in the outer office, drops of water dripping down her hair onto her blouse. She is draping her soaking wet blazer over her desk. What happened to her? Did she take a shower fully dressed? Wouldn't surprise me a bit, given how her mind has been out in space lately. I look her up and down, confused about her appearance. Well, her blazer is very obviously not the only thing that is drenched. Her blouse is not white anymore, it is ... my, is that lace underneath?

She turns around when she hears my voice. Well yes, it damn well is lace. I never thought of her as the kind of woman who has a thing for pretty lingerie. My bad.

I guess I look at her longer than would be considered appropriate since she blushes deeply.

"Mr. Marlow," she stutters and motions to her rather sheer outfit.

I can see everything underneath her top. Her white lace bra cups her curves perfectly and pushes them up in a way that would make her neckline a gorgeous eyecatcher, if she ever wore something other than those freaking loose, high-necked tops, that is. But then again, I'm glad she doesn't. I don't need another Carla in my office.

"I'm sorry, Sir. Cats."

See what I mean? Socially awkward. I have no idea what she's saying.

"Cats, huh?" I repeat and can't suppress a smile.

She turns away, grabs her blazer and throws it on, leaving a pool of water on the desk.

"I mean," she mutters as she buttons her jacket in a clear attempt to hide the see-through blouse from me. "I mean, it was raining cats and dogs on my way to the office."

Oh, gotcha. No real kitties involved.

"I see," I say, still amused. "Well, you had better clean up for the meeting, Mr. Hunter will be here in a few minutes."

No sooner have I finished the sentence than the elevator doors open and Mr. Hunter appears.

"Good morning."

His ambition is clearly reflected in the way he speaks, and you can tell immediately he is a man who wants to get things done. I go up to the elevator area to meet him and shake his hand.

"Good morning, Mr. Hunter."

"Mr. Marlow." He nods in acknowledgement. "Are we ready to start?"

"I'm sorry, Sir," I hear Ms. Lewis quiet voice from behind me. "I haven't been able to set up the conference room yet."

We both turn to look at her.

"And why is that?" Mr. Hunter growls, clearly displeased. "Didn't we agree on 8.15?"

"Yes, Sir, we did. But I ... "

He cuts her off. "And why do you look like this?" He gives me an annoyed look. "I would never allow my employees to show up at work like that."

What a pleasant personality, right? "Mr. Hunter," I try to lighten the mood. "Things happen. Especially when you don't account for cats and dogs on your way to work."

"Cats?" Dumbfounded, he stares at me, waiting for an explanation.

He won't get it. Instead, I point to my office.

"Why don't we sit down and have a coffee while Ms. Lewis is getting everything ready?"

"Ms. Lewis? I thought her name was Curtis."

Mr. Hunter is now completely confused and I can't help it, I laugh.

"Let's have some coffee," I say and open the door to my office for him.

As he struts inside, I look at my assistant, intending to ask her for two cups of coffee, but before I can open my mouth she mumbles, "Coffee. Coming right up."

Yeah, she's a good assistant. I smile at her and wink, wanting to put her at ease, since she seems so tense. That did not have the desired effect though. She turns as red as a fire hydrant and rushes towards the coffee kitchen. What is with her? I was just trying to be friendly. I guess we both really need to sit down and have a chat sometime. But in the meantime, I have to take care of business, so I follow Mr. Hunter into my office.