Chapter 23 - James

Perplexed is the only word that I can think of to describe my reaction when I realize it's not Fiona's face I'm looking at.

Instead of dark blue eyes, I'm staring into gorgeous sparkling amber. A lovely flush of rose is dying the delicate skin of those pretty cheeks, and even though this face still looks rather battered, at that moment I'm sure - no, I am certain - I have never seen a more beautiful one.

"Oh," Autumn mumbles bashfully as she looks over my shoulder to Jake. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to disturb... I was just ... I mean I ... "

She is so embarrassed that she is stuttering. Obviously she didn't expect me to have company. Good god, is this girl cute.

She lowers her gaze. "I think... I think I'll just go."

No way, Baby.

"You're not interrupting at all," I assure her and step aside to let her come in.

When she still doesn't move, I gesture with my hand towards the living room.

"Please."

Hesitantly, she looks first at Jake and then at me.

"Entree," I wink.

Finally, she steps into my apartment. I quickly close the door behind her, just in case she changes her mind.

"Have a seat, Miss Lewis." I motion towards the couch.

As I watch her walk over to sit down, I can't help but drink in her incredibly alluring body, which is covered by a black long-sleeved dress. It's not provocative at all; the flared hem falls right above her knees, and the neckline does what it says, it lines her neck. And yet, it is so damn sexy. The top hugs her perfect curves tightly, and with every move she makes the cotton fabric clings to her slim legs and fucking amazing ass.

Passing me, Jake bumps his shoulder into mine and grins knowingly, before sitting down in one of the armchairs. I follow his example and choose the one opposite Miss Lewis.

"Drink?" Yep, I'm the perfect gentleman.

She shakes her beautiful shiny black hair.

"Thanks. Mr. Marlow, I really didn't want to intrude. I can come back another time when it's more convenient, or we can talk at work."

If only you knew how much I love to have you here in my home.

"No worries, Miss Lewis. This is my brother Jake, we were just having a couple of drinks."

I turn to him. "Jake, this is Miss Lewis, my..."

"Your assistant." He grins meaningfully. "I can see that."

"I'm sorry?" She tilts her head, not understanding, but I do.

My brother knows my taste in women, he knows what type I'm into, and this girl fits the bill ridiculously well.

"Oh, nothing," I say quickly to prevent Jake from saying anything else. "I told him about that unfortunate incident right before you came, and I said I wondered how you were doing."

"Oh," she sighs softly and gives me a smile that electrifies every cell in my body. "I see. Well, I'm okay, the hospital let me go home, so that's good. And I thought I would drop by to say thank you."

I'm baffled. "Thank you for what?"

"For helping me. For protecting me from Mike, for taking care of my wound and for calling the ambulance."

While she says those words, she crosses her legs, making the hem of her skirt slide up her thigh and revealing the fine black lace of a garter belt.