Chapter 11 - Autumn

How could I have said no? Did you see the way he looked at me? Yes, yes, I know, I have ears and did very well hear what he said. He'd rather pick a woman with class for the gala. I also have not forgotten about the fact that he will take Carla out on a date and that he made me book the freaking table. It's actually sad, isn't it? He will take me on a formal event while Carla is obviously the girl he wants in his bed. It shouldn't surprise me at all, given the reputation he has. Angela, who works for Mr. Fletcher, Malloy and Kinsley's CFO, told me all about it; about the many women he dated, about that Diana Baker incident, about his taste for beautiful, voluptuous blondes he apparently changes like his underwear. But then, I remember what he said to Mike. "I don't fuck, I make love."

I can still hear those words so clearly, I can still hear this deep velvet voice setting Mike straight. Every time I recall it, thousands of butterflies merrily start to chase each other around in my stomach. I have to stop daydreaming about him.

Shamefaced, I glance over to Mr. Marlow's office. He stands at his little office bar, his back to me, fixing a drink. I am aware that I should not watch him, but my eyes are fixed on his broad shoulders, on his v-shaped back, on the muscles underneath his perfectly fit white shirt and how they stretch as he takes that bottle from the counter and lifts it to pour himself a drink. Does he know how gorgeous he is? He turns around, and instantly my eyes dart back to my computer screen.

Of course he knows. How else would he be so confident about approaching all those women? And none of them ever turns him down, so yes, that should definitely tell him something.

Well, now I'm one of them, too. I should not have agreed to accompany him to the gala, but I'm his assistant, I should do business things for him and that gala sure is a very important event for this company. A bunch of major-league people will be there who might want to have events organized in the future, even the press will be present. So, of course I can't turn down my boss. God, who am I kidding? I could never turn him down, not when he uses those stunning steel blue eyes of his on me, even if he asks me to prepare his dinner date. I'm such a loser.

The day drags on and on. I cannot concentrate on my work, all that is on my mind is Mr. Marlow's stupid date with Carla. I can literally see them enjoying dinner over their flirtatious conversation, which will ultimately lead to a first tender kiss that then becomes more and more passionate. They then decide to go to his place and end the night with her moaning his name.

For God's sake, Autumn, stop thinking about it! It just distracts you and makes you miserable. You've got work to do.

Somehow, I manage to set up a meeting with Jason Stills for tomorrow and then conclude it would be best if I go home early. I can't take being around my boss; not when I know he is about to do all the things to Carla that I want him to do to me.

There, I said it. I want my boss. I want him so badly it isn't even funny. I want his gentle touch, his soft yet demanding kisses, I want him to make love to me, just the way he said women deserved it.

"Mr. Marlow," I mumble as I stand in his office.

He raises his head from the work he was taking care of and meets my gaze. Oh God, please, please, don't. Don't look at me while I try to talk to you, please. This blue makes my knees go weak.

"Mr. Marlow," I begin again, and force my voice not to tremble which is only somewhat successful. "I was wondering if I could leave early today? I'm not feeling too great." Not really a lie, is it?

His eyes examine my face briefly before he answers. "Sure, Miss Lewis. Go home and rest. I'll see you tomorrow."

"Thank you, Sir," I say and head back to my desk to grab my stuff.