Chapter 24 - Autumn

My head hurts, and I'm not sure if it's the concussion or this night's events. Yeah, I lied when I told my boss I was better and that the hospital had sent me home. Actually, they tried to talk me into staying but I insisted of going home. Well, not home. All I could think of was Mr. Marlow and how nice he had been to me, how he protected and took care of me. I just had to go to him. Stupid, since we all saw how that went.

Shit, is there anyone more sheepish than me? I really don't know what's wrong with me. How in the world could I just show up there and beg him to sleep with me? I did it, didn't I? I really did. I am so damn stupid! I asked my boss to have sex with me! Oh dear God, if you hear me, please make him forget my idiocy. Or, even better, please undo it!

My phone, wonderful. I already know who this message is from and I'm definitely not in the mood for dealing with Mike now. Oh well, I'll read it anyway. This night can't get any worse, right?

My shirt still carries your scent. Lavender, is it? I hate to take it off, but it's late and I should try to get some sleep. Just wanted to wish you a good night and I hope you made it home safe and sound. See you tomorrow.

I read it again. And again. Okay, one more time.

My shirt still carries your scent. Lavender, is it? I hate to take it off, but it's late and I should try to get some sleep. Just wanted to wish you a good night and I hope you made it home safe and sound. See you tomorrow.

I can't breathe. My heart is pounding so violently against my ribcage it feels like I'm having a heart attack. I'm not able to comprehend this at all. He texted me. He!

What do I do now? Text back? Ignore it? What? Please, someone help me out here.

Best not to overthink it, right? So, I tap the reply button.

Yes, it's lavender. And chamomile. A good night to you, too.

Before I grant myself a chance to reconsider, I hit send. For a few minutes I hold my phone in my hand, waiting, just in case he might write back. He doesn't, though. Of course not, what did I expect?

Tossing the device on my nightstand, I step out of my dress, throw it on the chair next to my bed and grab my sleep shirt. As I settle down for the night, wrapping the cozy comforter around me, my thoughts are with him again. He is in bed now, too. Unwittingly, I reach for my dress - the dress that was touching his body only a few hours ago - and bury my face in it. Yes, it is still there; the subtle scent of his aftershave. Suddenly, I feel so close to him that for a split second I believe he is right here and I can touch him. Hugging my dress as if it were actually him, I fall into a deep, dreamless sleep.

I slept so well that I didn't hear the alarm go off. That has never happened before, I'm always overly punctual. So, when I finally wake up and lazily look over to the clock on the nightstand, adrenaline immediately starts shooting through my veins.

"Oh shit!" I yell in a panic and try to jump out of bed. My legs, though, get tangled in the comforter and I land face down on the floor.

"Ouch," I complain, rubbing my forehead. "What a perfect start of the day."

Hastily, I grab the first outfit I can find in my closet and sprint to the bathroom. Ten minutes later I'm out the door and on my way to the office.

Half running, I pull my phone out of my purse to check the time. Five more minutes. God, Autumn, hurry!

"Miss?" Someone shouts from behind. I don't recognize the voice, so I assume the woman is not talking to me and I keep rushing down the street.

"Miss!" She sounds annoyed and seems to be closer now. "Miss!"

Even though I'm late, my curiosity gets the better of me, so I turn around to see who that woman is who is evidently chasing after someone.

Oh good grief! I immediately recognize that almost white hair and the war paint face.

"Finally!" She grumbles, catching her breath.

"I'm sorry," I mutter. "I didn't realize it was me you were calling."

"Yeah, whatever. Stick your put on politeness up your ass, sweetie."

"Excuse me?" Her animosity is so unexpected, I can't say anything else.

"Listen," she hisses angrily. "I promise I'll turn your life into living hell if you don't take your dirty little secretary hands off my husband."

"What?" What is that lunatic talking about? "I don't know what you are talking about. I don't even know your husband."

Does my boss know what kind of freaks he dates? It appears she is not only married but a complete psycho.

Her eyes narrow dangerously. "Yes, you do. Don't play dumb. I know about you, I know you're playing his little whore."

Did that woman just call me a whore?

"What a lovely personality you have. Does my boss, whom you're obviously dating, know that you're married, Miss... Miss... "

Now she gives me a victorious smile. "Fiona Marlow. Misses Fiona Marlow."