Chapter 12 - Autumn

Peach. I chose peach. Not, blue, beige or green, it's peach. No man likes peach, perfect choice. Although, I realize I might get in trouble with my landlord. Well, who cares. He doesn't like me anyway.

I glance at my phone to check the time. Almost time for work. Wearily, I trot into the bathroom and take off my stained clothes. It took me all night to paint the living room and the hall but it was worth it. Painting kept me focused, distracted me from the emptiness inside of me, made me forget for a while that I don't have Mike anymore and that Carla and Mr. Marlow hit it off.

The hot water of the shower feels so good on my skin, it cleanses everything. Not only the paint, but the misty cloud that has fogged my brain since I caught Mike cheating. The warmth is soothing and makes me so, so tired. All I want to do now is curl up on the couch and sleep. There is work, though, waiting for me on the 18th floor of the Summerland Building.

I dry myself with a huge fluffy beach towel and wrap my favorite bathrobe around my body. I'm in no condition to go to work. No, not like that. Besides, the least thing I want to hear now is Carla being all too excited about her date with my boss.

I grab the phone and dial.

"Marlow." He picks up after the second beep.

"Good morning, Mr. Marlow, this is Autumn Lewis. I am sorry to tell you on short notice but I am really sick and won't be able to come in today."

"I'm sorry to hear that."

Oh, his voice is so soft, I unconsciously press the phone closer to my ear and cheek, as if I could feel him this way. "Unfortunately, we have the meeting with Stills today, remember? I need you to be present for that. You can come in late and leave right after, but I need you for the meeting."

Ugh, fantastic.

"Sir, I am not doing well at all. Is that really necessary? Can't someone else fill in for me?" Reluctantly, I add, "Carla, maybe?"

"Miss Lewis," he pauses. "Carla ... Miss Peyns isn't working today and there is no one else to take over. I promise, the meeting won't last long and you can go right back to bed afterwards."

I close my eyes and sigh. Isn't my life just perfect? Carla is not at work today. Must have worn her out, right Mr. Marlow? So she can enjoy a night with you and as a reward gets a day off while I, after this horrible day, don't get to recover? How unfair is that?

On the other hand, I don't want to and I can't sit here all day, I will go postal if I'm exposed to my thoughts without any chance of distraction.

"Okay," I mumble. "I will be there."