Chapter 33 - James

I've about had it with stalker boy. Autumn looks so frightened, tears keep falling down her sweet face. I can't stand seeing her like this. It's time I revved things up a bit to get rid of his fucking presence.

"She's not yours, dumbass, you screwed that up a while ago. Remember?"

I lean closer to him so no one else can hear what I'm about to throw at him.

"Don't you ever lay your dirty hands on her again. Don't call her, don't text, don't even dare to look at her, or I'll promise I'll break every single bone in your body. She is mine. So fuck off."

I don't care about his comic attempt to stop me from putting my arm around Autumns delicate, trembling shoulder to safely guide her out of this shithole, I don't care about the hundreds of pairs of eyes that are on us, all I care about is Autumn.

Once we are in my car and on the interstate, my eyes search for hers. Fortunately, the tears have dried, but she is still so pale.

"Are you okay?" I ask cautiously.

"I'm fine," she mumbles, lowering her gaze to the dashboard. "I'm sorry this happened. I didn't..."

"Don't be," I interrupt her. "It's not your fault. Besides, it gave us a good excuse to leave, didn't it?"

I wink at her and to my delight, she rewards me with that incredibly cute, shy smile only she can pull off.

"Do you want to go home?"

She shakes her head slightly. "No."

My grin feels like it covers my entire face. "Good. I want to show you something."

The rest of the way we drive in complete silence, but I can sense her tension ease up with every mile we put between us and the gala.