Chapter 10 - James

This is ridiculous. I can't work like that. She thinks I cannot see it, but I do. Whenever she feels unobserved, her big brown eyes wander to me, they watch me through the glass front that divides my office from her work space. And I can damn well tell that she's been crying. I don't know why, though. What happened? Did that prick hurt her? Well, I'm going to find out.

"Miss Lewis." I push the button of the intercom and watch her reaction. "Please step into my office."

She looks at me, questioningly, then stands, brushes her hands over the sides of her pencil skirt and slowly moves into my direction.

"Please, take a seat," I say, pointing at the black upholstered chair in front of my desk, when she opens the door.

I let her sit and get comfortable, before I get straight to the point. "What's going on?"

"Excuse me, Sir?"

"You've been crying. Do you want to talk about it?"

"No." She shakes her head determinedly. "No, I don't." She blinks. "Is there anything else I can do for you, Sir?"

Well, I can't force her, can I? So, I, too, shake my head and say, "No, thanks, Miss Lewis. That's all."

Just when she is almost out of the door, I call her back. "Actually, yes, there is something. Could you book a table for two at the The Vineyard for tonight at 8?"

Her face freezes. That's the only way to describe it. She doesn't smile, doesn't frown, doesn't say yes, doesn't anything, just stares with those huge eyes of hers into mine.

Taken aback by that kind of reaction to my request, I add a "Please." Maybe that's what she waits for?

No, apparently that wasn't it. Without a word she turns and heads out.

Should I go after her? Make sure she makes the reservation? I decide to wait. She is reliable, so I am certain she will make the call. However, I don't have any idea why she's so upset.

Brushing my thoughts aside, I go back to work. There's still a shit load of stuff to do for Hunter.

It's almost lunch time when Miss Lewis reappears in my office.

"Daniels called. They want to know if you're planning on attending the charity gala next week. They're expecting your call by Wednesday." She hands me a small note with a phone number and Wednesday's date. "Also, your table is booked for 8."

I look up from that yellow post-it she just gave me. She stands in front of my desk, hugging a clipboard.

"Thank you, Miss Lewis." I smile.

She nods in acknowledgement. No smile, no blink, no word, not even a flush of her cheeks. She usually blushes when I smile at her, but now, nothing. Why does it bother me? I always found her blushing weird, but also somehow endearing and ... well, yes, I admit, it's damn cute.

Until I received that text message of hers I didn't think any of it other than that she is just shy, which she definitely is, but Friday night, and Saturday of course, made me reconsider. Jesus, I'm overthinking this. She is my assistant, I'm her boss. Period. We're not even friends. Yet, I can't help but feel uneasy about her being a little too detached, being a little too different. Something must have happened, why won't she tell me? But you're right, it is none of my business. If it were work related, she would tell me and since she doesn't it must be a private matter. So, none of my fucking business.

"Anything else I can do for you?" she asks routinely.

"Actually, yes." I grab a file off my desk and hold it out to her. "Here. Would you contact this agency before your lunch break and have them arrange a meeting? Jason Stills is the guy we want. Local musician with a well-established fanbase. He might just be the right pick for Hunter."