Chapter 8 - James

The apartment is not really big and I wonder if that jerk lives here, too. It seems like there would not be enough room for two people, but then again, if he is gone all the time, messing around, it doesn't matter too much. I almost trip over a pair of sneakers that are left carelessly in the doorway. Clearly not hers, too large and too masculine. There's my answer. He does live here.

"Sorry about that." Miss Lewis bends down to move them out of the way. "Mike isn't really one for cleaning up after himself."

Figures.

"You think he's okay with me being here?"

Honestly, I couldn't care less if he wants me here or not but I sure don't want to cause her any more trouble than she already has.

"Sure."

That didn't convince me at all, and I don't believe she is convinced either. I should turn around and leave but I can't bring myself to take away her bright gleeful smile. This is the happiest I have seen her in... ah, ever, and I'm not a heartless bastard. So, I stay. Besides, I do enjoy her company.

Miss Lewis offers me a seat on the grey suede couch and rushes into the kitchen. I hear the soft rattling of mugs, an electric kettle heating up water, which then is being poured. After a few minutes, she comes back, handing me a large red cup of steaming hot tea.

I smell of it. "Peppermint."

"I hope that's okay?" She sits down on the other end of the sofa, warming her hands on a silver mug with stars.

"My favorite," I lie.

I don't have a favorite type of tea. Hell, I don't even drink that funny stuff. My fib, though, makes her smile again, and I know I would even drink synthetic engine oil just to see that sweet face blossom with joy.

"What did you want to talk about?" she asks out of the blue.

"Hm?" Not sure what she means, I raise my eyebrows.

"You said on the phone that you wanted to go over some things. So..." She places her mug on the coffee table and then faces me. "What was it?"

"Oh." I have to admit that that was a lie, too. You see, actually I just meant to ask her about last night's message but turns out, the situation at the park was quite self-explanatory. Should I tell her? Or just make something up?

"Well."

I shift uncomfortably back and forth on the sofa cushions.

Fortuity comes to my rescue as the apartment door swings open and an obviously drunken Mike stumbles in.

"I'm back, Sweetie." He is so wasted his words are nothing but a slur. "Could use a hand here."

The poor girl turns all pale and jumps up from the couch. Her gleeful expression has turned to stone, the light in her eyes flickers sadly for a few seconds, then dies altogether.

"Mike. Of course." Jesus, she sounds like a robot, programmed to say whatever that freak wants to hear. "How was the conference?"

She meets him at the door to help him out of his shoes.

"Great," he babbles. "Had one too many, I believe. And you? Was it cold, walking back?"

Right now, I so want to punch that stupid grin out of that fucker's face. Who the hell does he think he is? But I sit, quietly watching Miss Lewis freeing his neck off the scarf. If I were her, I would rather strangle him with it.

"Mr. Marlow drove me home." Boy, I swear I can hear fear in her voice.

Instantly, he raises his head and looks around, as if searching for something. Or someone. Now, he sees me. I stand. This gotta be good.

"Mr. Marlow."

His eyes narrow as he attempts to walk towards me, head held high in a, what I assume, threatening pose. Instead, he wobbles back and forth, zigzagging his way over to me. It is ridiculous, really.

"To what do I owe the honor of your visit?" He has finally arrived and plants himself in front of me, pretentious as can be.

"Miss Lewis invited me for a cup of tea." How I manage to stay so calm with this prick in my face is beyond me.

"Tea, huh?" He glances over to the coffee table with the mugs, then back at me. "You know, I don't want you here." His grubby index finger pokes my chest provocatively.

It takes me a few deep breaths to regain my composure. "Well, it's a good thing you don't live here alone. I'm not visiting you, I'm visiting Miss Lewis. She invited me, as I am sure I have stated before."

"Of course, she did," he spits at me. "Do you know what is incredibly unpleasant?"

Yes, I want to say, you. But I keep my mouth shut and let him finish.

"I have to... uh ... work all the time and can't be at home much, and when I'm at home I'm tired and want to sleep but I can't because my girl talks in her sleep and wakes me up."

"Ah. And you're telling me this why?" This has got to be the most nonsensical conversation I have ever had.

"I'm telling you this because," he quickly shoots some daggers at Miss Lewis who is still standing in the doorway, before he lets me in on his secret. "Because my girlfriend, the woman who shares her bed with me, the woman who allegedly loves me whispers the same name over and over when she is asleep. Every fucking night. And it sure as hell isn't mine. Got anything to say to that, Mr. Dreamcatcher?"

What? No. Frankly, I don't. What is he implying? For Christ's sake, I don't talk Neanderthal. Any translators around? Under different circumstances, I wouldn't waste a second thought on the jabbering of an intoxicated idiot but for some inexplicable reason I just can't shrug it off. I raise my eyes, hoping my assistant can clear this up. She holds my gaze but it is obvious I won't get my answer. She is horrified. Her eyes are so huge and her cheeks are an intensely deep shade of red.

"Are you fucking her?" That asshole's unnerving voice reminds me that he's still not done talking.

About to lose my patience with him, I hiss. "What kind of man do you think I am? Not that it is any of your business, but I don't fuck. I make love. Apparently, this is the difference between you and me. You have no respect, you don't value what you have. Instead, you treat it with contempt, and that includes Miss Lewis. To give you a crash course in How to treat women 101: Your girlfriend is not someone you fuck, she is someone you make love to, and if you don't understand that, you are not worthy of her. Now, if you will excuse me, it's been a long day and I really don't feel like talking to you."

I leave him swaying there by himself and march right up to Miss Lewis who still hasn't moved a bit. She looks like she is in shock.

"Come with me."

It's not like she has a choice; I make sure she follows me. Holding her arm, I pull her gently with me out of the dragon's den.