Chapter 31: nothing is what it seems

hope you like the chapter! comment and stuff :)

The air felt cool around me and my hair was whipping around my face. My body shivered so I attempted to curl myself into a ball. Instead my face met a warm chest; it was then that I realized I was being carried by someone. I tried to lift my head to see who it was but the voice told me first.

“Shhhh.. you will be warm soon.” Jake whispered down to me and held me closer to him.

I didn’t fight it, I reveled in it. Jake was carrying me, and I was actually allowed to snuggle into him! I wish I could stay like this forever. I turned my head closer into him so the wind didn’t hit me so hard.

I heard the faint hmm of his heart and his breath that mine had grown in time with. Nothing else could be heard but just his breath and mine. Not even the door when we entered the house or the creaking stairs as we went up.

I didn’t think vampires had beating hearts. From the stories I’ve read they died then came back with no heart beat and ice cold skin as if they were still dead. Jakes skin was warm like a tanning bed and his heart beat was normal and calm like any other guy his age. Unfortunately the blood drinking part was still true of course.

 I felt him release me and coldness washed over me. It reminded me that I was alone and Jakes nice moments were temporary. For some reason I hadn’t expected him to let me go. Although I knew Jake could not and would not like me no matter how strong our bond was and I had to face that.

I heard my bathroom door open and close. Then footsteps get louder and stop at my bed. I peeked up and Jake was there staring at me.

“What?” I mumbled half asleep.

“You need to change and shower.” He said with a smirk.

“Okay, I can handle that on my own.” I mumbled into the pillow as my eyelids started to droop again. I didn’t need him to help me shower, yet alone undress. Perve.

“I bet you can, but your water isn’t working, you will have to use my shower.” He crossed his arms.

“Oh I bet mine doesn’t work and it just so happens your shower does?” I lifted my head and gave him an I DOUBT IT smirk.

“This room was vacant for years, the shower pipes aren’t used to being used it probably got cracked. My shower isn’t the only one but it is the nicest. I was trying to be courteous and let you use it but if you want to be a brat then you can use the one in the basement.” He snapped and narrowed his eyes. He didn’t like being treated like crap… hmmm how ironic.

“Fine, I’m sorry I’ll use yours but you will have to carry me in there because I am tired.” I rolled on my back and stretched out my arms. I hoped he would pick me up again so I could be close to him.

“I am not carrying you heather.” He took a step back and kept a firm stance.

“well than I’m not going.” I said and dropped my arms.

“You will, you can’t just sleep like that.” He did a pan of my body with his hand.

“Oh but I can.” I smiled and rolled onto my stomach. I grabbed the closest pillow and snuggled into it, if he wanted me to shower he can carry me if not then I’m sleeping.

“You’re not getting your way.” He growled and took a step toward my bed.

“Oh I’m not? See if you carry me I get to shower and get into comfy clothes. If you don’t I get to pass out and not even have to move. Both ways it’s a win win situation and I’ll get my way.” I smirked and squeezed my eyes shut because I knew I’d laugh at his face.