Chapter 1

Vlad Masters.

The man who had everything. Well, almost everything. He had the fame, the fortune, but he was still missing what he desperately longed for; the love of his life.

Maddie.

Just the mere thought of her name made his heart ache as he longed to kiss her tender yet plump red lips. He yearned to hold her in his arms late at night as he watched her sleep peacefully. He wished to cuddle with her by the fireplace on a cold winter night as they whispered sweet nothings to each other. He dreamt that they would wed and have beautiful children together.

He sighed in despair as the crackling fire in front of him brought him out of his thoughts, reminding him that he didn't have what he truly wanted. Bringing the porcelain cup to his lips, he sipped his tea as the constant thought of her continued to torment him.

As much as he wanted to deny it, he knew, deep down, he was lonely. It felt like a hole dug into his heart and couldn't be filled until someone that he loved would love him back. But no one loved him and the only person he loved married an idiotic man.

He sighed again and set his tea down on the end table next to him then shut his novel, not in the mood to read any longer. He stood and trudged over to his bookcase, his footsteps heavy and loud. Placing his novel back on the shelf, he glanced at the clock above his fireplace, noting it was five minutes till one in the morning. He frowned, disappointed that he allowed himself to sulk over Maddie instead of watching the time, again.

He glanced at the fireplace once before grabbing the fire poker next to it and moving the charred wood away from the burning flames to reduce the fire. He then put the poker back once the wood was taken care of and left the room, knowing full well that his maid would take care of putting it out completely once she saw him exiting the library. His assumption was proven right when he walked out the door and took a few steps forward before glancing over his shoulder to see his maid entering into the room.

As he walked down the desolate hallways, he couldn't help but think of what he could do to earn his true love's heart. He could try to woo her by tricking her into coming to his home. But how would he do that? Last time he tried to contact her, he found out she had a daughter.

He scoffed in annoyance and entered his bedroom, causing the lights to automatically turn on. He closed his door and walked over to his closet to change into a pair of pajamas. Once clothed in a pair of red silk pajamas, he walked over to his bed, tossing his uniform he wore earlier that day into the hamper for the maid, then climbed into it. He placed the comforter over himself and readjusted his pillow to make it more fluffier before lying down.

As he lay, his thoughts turned back to Maddie. There had to be some way to get her to come back to him but what was it? Maybe he should take drastic measures and kidnap her; she'd soon learn to love him after the amount of time they would spend together. He shook his head in disgust; that was too far.

What else could he do? Should he try to attempt to kill Jack? No, he wasn't as powerful of a ghost as he'd hoped to be yet.

Then what?! Do something Maddie liked to impress her? His eyes widened; that was it! He would impress her!

He then frowned; what could he do to do that? Try his hand at Ghost Hunting and show off his equipment to her? He scoffed again; she wouldn't be impressed by what he had; she would be impressed based on what he did.

He sighed and turned on his side. There was nothing he could do to impress her! He wasn't what she wanted in looks, personality, or intellect; she wanted an fool, like Jack! Did he have to become like Jack in order to win the heart of his true love? He scowled at the thought; he would never do something like that.