Chapter 20

Elizabeth's POV:

There were some parts of school that were enjoyable, others were annoying, and the rest was boring; History, for example, was boring. It's not that she had anything against the subject, of course. It was just hard for Elizabeth to keep her eyes open while her teacher was teaching the class about the Egyptians. Gosh, she couldn't wait until it was over.

While her teacher was blabbering on and on about something involving the pyramids in Egypt and Giza, she couldn't help but rest her head on her folded arms. Boredom began to overwhelm her mind and a fog clouded her vision, making it even more difficult to keep herself awake. It didn't help when the only adult in the room dimmed the lights so her and her classmates could watch a documentary on the Great Pyramid in Egypt.

Right as her eyelids began to droop, she flinched when something small and wet hit the back of her head. Inwardly, she groaned in annoyance and sat up then turned in her seat to see none other than the most annoying kid in the whole third grade snickering a few seats from her.

She glared and clenched her fists; he just had to pick on her today, didn't he? "What are you four, Matt?" she whisper-yelled, so he could hear her, "Start acting your age."

He smirked and pushed his brown semi-long bangs out of his eyes. "Why don't you start acting your age, Lizzie? You're a kid; not an adult," he whisper-yelled back, smirking smugly.

Her glare intensified as a scowl formed on her lips. "Don't call me that."

"You're not the boss of me."

"Listen, you little-"

"Miss Masters?"

She flinched at the stern, yet rough, voice of her teacher calling her last name, something he would only do if she was disruptive, disrespectful, or disobedient; also known as the three D's. Reluctantly, she turned around and glanced up to find her teacher, Mr. Roth, towering above her with his lips pursed into a thin line, his eyes narrowed, and his arms crossed. She smiled sheepishly. "Yes, Mr. Roth?" she asked, trying to sound as sweet as possible to hopefully appease the older man.

"Must I remind you that you are in a uniformed private school that strictly prohibits socializing while your teacher is teaching?" he sternly reminded.

She looked down and folded her hands on her desk, knowing she would get in trouble if she argued with him. "No, sir."

"Then I suggest you stop talking and pay attention to what I am teaching you." He turned around and walked back to the front of the class. "It will benefit you later in life."

"Doubtful," she muttered under her breath then glanced back up, knowing she had to pay attention unless she wanted punishment.

_____________

Elizabeth's POV:

She sighed, relieved History class was over and Lunch was starting. Standing up and lifting her backpack on her chair, she proceeded to pack away her homework and other classwork Mr. Roth assigned her.

A faint grunt escaped her lips when something shoved her shoulder, and she glared at the retreating back of Matt as he practically strutted towards the door. Her eyes narrowed into slits when he turned to face her, sent her a smug smirk, then walked out of the door. She rolled her eyes in annoyance then placed her water bottle in her backpack before putting it on and shuffling towards the door.

Ever since her Dad became competitors with Matt's father, that immature brat had been picking on her. Honestly, she had done nothing to provoke him or bullied him just because her Dad was his father's competitor. So why did he want to provoke her?