Chapter 33

Elizabeth's POV:

Everything was done. Appetizers and entrees were cooked and ready to be served, the cake was cooled and frosted in the fridge, all of the decorations were set up, and the staff was dressed formally for the event. All that was left was her.

Elizabeth sighed as she stared into her vanity mirror, spotting an elegant young girl staring back. That girl looked like an exact copy of what a Barbie doll was supposed to look like. Too perfect in appearance and unable to change it. Her black hair stood up in a neat bun and hid the blue highlights since it wasn't considered 'proper' or 'acceptable' with her position in Class. Her makeup was plastered on her face, painted on almost, and unable to smudge or be taken off until she used a special remover. The diamond necklace hanging from her neck sparkled against the lights from her vanity and highlighted her appearance. Finally, the modest short-sleeved light pink dress that hugged her body nicely sold the idea that she was indeed a Barbie doll. Presentation was everything.

Another sigh escaped her mouth, and she picked up a pair of matching earrings then jumped when her phone vibrated beside her. Her hand reached for the device until she recognized the caller ID. It was Susan, and Elizabeth still hadn't looked up the post to discuss what upset her. Her promise to be there for her friend was broken as soon as her father assigned her to help set up for tonight. Her thumb pressed the green call button. "Hello?" she answered.

"Finally! I've been trying to reach you all day! I was worried you saw Camille's post and wouldn't call me back!" Susan exclaimed, her tone concerned. "Did you look at it yet?"

"I got a little sidetracked," Elizabeth admitted. "I'm sorry, Susan."

Her friend sighed. "I figured as much, especially once I found out about the party your Dad's throwing which, by the way, I wasn't invited to."

She scoffed. "My Dad's the one that sent out the invitations, not me. If I had known about the party, I would have asked you to come."

"I know you would have." A door shut on the other line. "I bet your Dad's still holding a grudge after what happened at the campsite. That's why he didn't tell you about it because he didn't want you to invite me."

"I wouldn't be surprised." Elizabeth stood from behind her vanity and walked over to her matching open-toed heels. "He holds a grudge against everyone."

"Yep." The sound of a bath turning on reached her ears. "Listen, I'm going to take a long and relaxing bath now. I need to preoccupy my mind from Camille and the fact I'm not attending a party with my best friend, so I'll talk to you later."

"I'm really sorry, Susan."

She giggled. "Don't worry about it. When my birthday comes, and I organize a party for it, I'll invite you but not your father, okay?"

A small smile graced Elizabeth's lips, amused, and slipped on her heels. "That'll go over well."

"Oh, I know. He's going to hate me after that, especially once I base the theme on teen rebellion."

"I can't wait for it."

"I'm sure. You're going to need an awesome party to reawaken your rebellious side after this boring one."

"Hey, my Dad worked really hard on this one."

"Yes, but I bet he invited all of the downers and snotty rich people to it."

She shrugged. "You're probably right."

"Probably? I'm one hundred percent correct!" She turned off the faucet. "Seriously, though, I'm going to go. I would tell you to have lots of fun, but I doubt you'll even have an ounce of it."