Chapter 13

Elizabeth's first birthday.

Honestly, Vlad wasn't all that thrilled about it. He knew that that meant she was one year closer to the 'terrible twos' stage of her life, and he was not looking forward to that. Maddie had told him when Jasmine, her daughter, reached that age, she immediately began defying everything she tried to discipline her for and would even throw tantrums when the young brat didn't get her way. He really hoped Elizabeth wouldn't turn into that when she was older.

Still, Maddie did point out that Jasmine was just showing her independence and trying to do more on her own without her assistance, even though she was being rotten about it. Elizabeth would want to show independence as well when she got older, and, as much as he didn't want to admit it, he was proud of her for wanting something like that.

But, the thought of what she would become during that time in her life did of course scare him a little. He wasn't ready for the temper tantrums, the drawings on the walls, the throwing food everywhere, and he was worried that with him spoiling her for the past year would create an even worse monster.

He shook his head, forcing himself out of his own thoughts; he didn't have time to worry about that right now. He had planned a special day for Elizabeth and didn't want to waste another moment thinking of the future.

___________________

"Are you sure you should be out celebrating, especially during this time of the year?" Molly asked, holding Elizabeth as she balanced her on her hip.

Vlad glanced over his shoulder at the two of them before buttoning his coat, knowing it was supposed to be cold out. "Of course I'm sure, Molly," he deadpanned, annoyed with her constant questioning, "as I've said before, all we're going to do today is going to the Zoo, then the fair in town, and come home. Simple, easy, and not life-threatening."

She raised a confused brow. "'Life-threatening'?"

"Yes." He turned around to face her then took Elizabeth from her, making sure to balance her on his hip. "You've been constantly asking me if I was sure I should take Elizabeth out on her birthday ever since I told you last week, which gives me the impression you don't trust me to be alone with her."

She sheepishly smiled and rubbed the back of her neck as her sight averted to the other side of the room. "I do trust you. I just don't want anything to go wrong."

"Nothing will go wrong." He knelt down and picked up the diaper bag then straightened back up. "It's just a day out." He shrugged. "Besides, she hasn't had the opportunity to do any fun activities besides her constant desire to throw her toys at me."

"She's just being playful."

"'Playful'?" He scoffed. "I doubt that."

"Well, she is a baby. She probably won't understand what's right and what's wrong until she turns two."

"No, that's the age she'll want to defy me."

She smirked and crossed your arms. "I believe you're thinking of her teen years; not her baby ones."

He scoffed and shook his head. How could he have possibly forgotten about that? He couldn't imagine the difficult and rebellious teenage years he'd have to deal with later on. "Oh yes. How could I have forgotten something like that?"

She smiled sympathetically and walked past him to open the front door for the two. "I'm sure she won't become such a rebellious teenager as you would think."

"Well, I sure hope so, Molly." He walked out the door then turned to look back at her. "I would hate to see her become someone I disapprove of."

"Unfortunately, everyone goes through a rebellious stage during their teen years." She shrugged. "It just happens."