Chapter 3

Vlad glanced up from the book he was reading when he heard a soft coo. He smiled softly when his gaze settled on Elizabeth as she laid on her stomach, lifting her head up every few moments before it fell back down. He chuckled and continued reading, knowing she was fine. Yesterday, however, he thought her nanny was trying to hurt her when he came home and saw his little girl on her stomach and struggling to keep her head up; Mrs. Jones was lucky he didn't shoot her with his ghost rays on sight.

He turned the page then glanced back at Elizabeth when she cooed a little louder and could see her looking directly at him. Although he knew she couldn't see him with her only being one month old, he smiled softly that she at least tried. He closed his book and set it on the end table next to him before standing and strolling over to her.

He knelt down, glancing at the fireplace for a brief moment, with her on her pink blanket then rubbed her back gently. "Good girl, Elizabeth," he praised, "you're doing such a good job."

A coo escaped her small pink lips, making him grin as his eyes softened before he turned to the doorway when he heard the door open. He stopped rubbing her back and stood up, clasping his hands behind his back. "Mrs. Jones, please come in."

Mrs. Jones walked in, a bit hesitant after he yelled at her yesterday for the misunderstanding. "I'm sorry I'm late, Mr. Masters; the traffic was horrible."

He nodded once. "Yes, it can be brutal, can't it?" Which is exactly why he preferred to fly over driving. "Mrs. Jones, I wanted to apologize for my behavior yesterday; it was an obvious misunderstanding, and you must understand that this is my first time raising a child."

The older woman smiled softly and stepped closer to him. "Oh, it's alright. You were just concerned. I'm not upset."

Truthfully, he didn't care how she felt; he just needed to keep a good reputation. "Thank you, Mrs. Jones."

She nodded then glanced over at Elizabeth before beaming. "Well, would you look at that?" She walked around him, making him turn around to watch her, and sat down on her knees in front of his child. "Your neck must be getting stronger, Elizabeth. I'm so proud of you, sweetie."

"Yes, she is doing well, isn't she?" He smiled in adoration as his daughter's head fell back down. "She's getting stronger by the day."

"Yes, she is." She rubbed her head gently as she glanced up at him. "You can go to work now, Mr. Masters. I'll make sure to take good care of her."

He cleared his throat and straightened his bow tie. "Are you sure you'll be alright? Will you be able to carry Elizabeth up the stairs and to her room?"

She scoffed and smiled wider. "Oh, Mr. Masters, I'll be fine. I raised six kids when I was young and lived in a two-story house; a set of stairs won't be a problem."

He nodded once before turning around and walking over to the door. "I appreciate your help. I don't know how much longer I'll need you to watch her for."

"I'll watch her until my dying days if you need me to, Mr. Masters."

He chuckled and left, heading out to finish stealing his fortune back.

__________________

After a month of robbing banks, stores, and restaurants, Vlad finally regained all of his fortune, including a little extra thanks to his persuasive tongue. Although he was never the one to spend money immediately after regaining it, he couldn't help but think what he could do with it next. Perhaps he could upgrade the kitchen? Buy an indoor swimming pool? He shook his head, silently berating himself; he had to use it wisely. After all, he had a daughter to take care of now; he couldn't afford to be careless.