Chapter 30

Elizabeth's POV:

It was difficult, but Elizabeth managed to convince her father that Susan was at the Marvel Public Library, a little past The Key Orchard. With a simple lie here and there, she was able to persuade him to pull into the parking lot and, gratefully, stay in the car. She did not need any unwanted attention while she was carrying out her plan.

Her hurried footsteps sounded against the concrete steps as she made her way to the entrance of the ancient building in front of her. Her wandering eyes immediately caught sight of the poster taped to the window next to the revolving doors. Today was a book signing, and one of her favorite authors would be there. A scowl formed on her features as she berated herself for forgetting about it and for not planning her time better.

She pushed against the doors and spun her way inside before briefly glancing to see the stand where her author would conduct the book signings. She shook off her berating thoughts and strode toward the librarian's office. Hopefully, she was there and not on any other level of the building. She did not want to waste too much time.

Slowing down her pace and calming her rushed nerves, she gently knocked on the office door and waited to hear an approval to go in. Her foot tapped against the degrading carpet and her bottom lip sunk into the top of her teeth. Where was she? Maybe she didn't hear her?

Her fist raised to knock once more on the door, but it paused in midair when the door opened, revealing a senior woman holding a white cane. "Hello?" she questioned, a small smile playing on her lips.

"Good morning, Mrs. Fields," Elizabeth greeted and smiled up at the sweet librarian.

"Oh, Ms. Masters." Mrs. Fields readjusted her glasses then placed a gentle hand on the teen's shoulder. "It's been quite a while. How have you been?"

"I've been well, Ma'am." The young teen slipped her bag off of her shoulder. "Mrs. Fields, I'm sorry for the short notice as well as my absence from the library, but I was wondering if you could help me with something."

The librarian tilted her head in confusion then took her hand back. She took a few steps back, using her cane as guidance, and grasped onto the door. "Why don't we discuss whatever's troubling you away from prying eyes, dear."

Elizabeth smiled wider and stepped into the office, listening as the librarian closed the door behind them then glanced around. The office was quite small and mostly taken up by unopened boxes, ones Mrs. Fields most likely never found time to unpack or forgot about. Besides the untouched packages, the room was rather tidy and dust-free. Honestly, she wasn't sure how the senior woman could stay cramped up in a small office all of the time, but if it suited her, then the teen couldn't complain.

"So, Ms. Masters." Elizabeth watched as Mrs. Fields made her way around her desk and sat down behind it. The librarian propped her cane up against it and folded her hands on the oak. "What do you need my help with?"

"Unfortunately, I can't stay and chat for very long." Elizabeth slid her bag off of her shoulder and set it on the cushioned chair behind her. "I wanted to ask if you would allow me to use your office as a place to study."

"Well, the library was designed for people to study in." She tilted her head slightly. "But why my office?"

"It's a project." The teen smiled gently. "I can't trust that the other visitors would accidentally, or purposely, ruin my hard work."

"You can't take it home when you're finished working here?"

Frick, she hoped Mrs. Fields wouldn't ask that. She needed to lie, again. Which meant she had to use what she knew about Mrs. Fields to make her lie more convincing and understandable. But what could she say that would pull the librarian in?