Automatic Windows

I sit down next to the creek, crossing my legs. The sun is warm on my face and I am grateful to be in such a peaceful place. Harry sits beside me, our arms almost touching. The memories we have forged here have all been good. This is a happy place.  "I wish we could stay here forever."

"We could," he says. "Pitch a tent. Live like hippies."

"No," I laugh. "As tempting as it sounds."

We sit in silence for a while, just watching the creek. Birds chirp in the distance, the sun casting rays of light through the treetops. It is so serene and beautiful. It is almost as if it is untouched by society. From here you can't even hear the cars from the street that is maybe a few hundred yards away, just behind the tree line. I can't help but wonder what Harry's thinking about. I clear my own mind, just watching the way the creek laps the banks.

"Do you think of the future much?" Harry asks.

"What do you mean?"

"Like...if you'll have a family, a career."

I shrug. "I want a family. I want a career."

"But do you ever think of putting those into action?"

"I guess," I look to Harry. "Why?"

Harry shrugs. "I was just thinking."

"I don't want a family now; I am too young for that. As for a career, I am starting University in the fall." I tell him. He doesn't acknowledge anything I just said. "Why are you thinking so hard, Harry?"

"I--"

Harry's phone suddenly goes off, scaring us both. He fishes his phone out of his pocket, and presses accept.

"Hello?" He answers. There is a pause, with chatter on the other side of the line. He sits up straighter. "What? Why?" I look at him curiously. He shoots me a glance. "No. I'm not coming...because I'm fucking busy, why do you think?...no...why the fuck does it matter who I'm with?" He sighs. "Fine." He hangs up. "I have to go," he says to me. He stands, and reaches out to help me up. I take his hand, standing along with him.

"Why?" I ask.

"Luke," he answers simply.

"Well...can I come with you?"

"No," he tells me. All right then, I guess quality time is over.

I walk back up the trail to my car, fumbling for my keys in my pocket. I manually unlock the door and look up to see Harry walking towards me. I pause before getting in and look at him.

"Blair," Harry says. I look at him expectantly. "I'm sorry...that was rude. I shouldn't be bailing on you."

            I sigh, "It's all right.

"You can come," he tells me. "If you want; I know you don't really enjoy their company."

"I like your company," I grin and Harry laughs, smiling at me. He leans into me and kisses me sweetly, taking me by surprise. Before I can even register the kiss, he pulls away. My pulse has quickened, and my breath hitches as he stares into my eyes.

            "Just follow me, yeah?" He says. I nod, getting into my car. As I follow Harry's car out of the lot and onto the main street, I think about how different Harry is around his other friends. If they show up somewhere or call him, his eyes immediately darken and he acts like an entirely different person. It makes me wonder why he feels like he has to be something he is not. As Harry turns onto different roads, I find myself recognizing the streets less and less. He finally parks in front of what appears to be some kind of pub. I park next to him, my brow furrowed.