[ 14 ]

warning: this consists with mild violence and detailed tension :-)

-

[ O' LORD, LET ME BE FREE. ]

• • •

F I N N

• • •

Millie had been avoiding him, Finn knew it.

The excessive excuses she would make were fairly poor and often vague. And sadly, he couldn't put a finger on why she was avoiding him. He thought of every possible reason but none of them made actual sense.

Many students were assigned into groups for the hiking trip to the snow-top mountains. The high peaks, in Mister Gulsvig's words, was "steep and careful". Caleb was assigned in a different group while Finn was assigned with Gaten, Noah, Even, Millie and Noora. And oh, he couldn't be happier! He either had to make a run for it or endure the utter torture.

They all walked up the hills, shoes crushing crinkling snow down to the ground and the quiet swifts of wind blowing on their features. Even lead the way with a flashlight on, shooting it from left to right as they walked through the cloudy path. Millie was right next to Finn but not as close as he wanted her to be. Quite frankly, she kept a small distance between them, looking at every possible direction except towards him.

With that, he became irritated with Millie's complexed behavior. She wasn't going to ignore him no more.

"You can't ignore me forever y'know, we're bound to talk," he whispered as he inched closer to her.

Millie flinched at the oblivious statement, refusing to meet his burning gaze. She was being difficult, which made him more irritated.

"I'm not mad at you," she carefully murmured, scratching onto the back of her maroon beanie with bits of her small curls that poked out.

Exasperated, he then asked: "What did I ever do to you then?"

Millie slowly turned her head, anger glinted in her own eyes. Both Noora and Noah turned around with questioning gazes. He knew that Millie hated being the centre of attention, especially the wrong kind but he could not help but raise his voice at the brunette.

"If I were you, I would stay away from him, you wouldn't want a crazed alcoholic like him, do you?"

Of course it was Gaten. His head was now turned to the two of them, that smirk he wore on his face and he wasn't looking at Millie, rather at Finn.

"Stay out of this Matarazzo," Finn said in a low voice with gritted teeth. He could feel his heart pounding and his blood vessels pumping rapidly, stringing its veins.

Millie suddenly pressed her hand against the middle of Finn's chest as he moved toward Gaten in a halfhearted attempt to test Millie's determination to stand between them.

"Hit a nerve?" Gaten snarled. "Tell me, did the apple fall far from the tree with your mother?"

And just that, blew up Finn. He pushed Millie to the side and threw his jacket on the cold ground before lunging at Gaten. He threw a hard punch at his face in which made the other boy stumble backwards.

But he had yet forgotten that although Gaten was not as tall as him, he was way much stronger. Next thing Finn knew, he was switched to being slammed onto the ground making him hiss at the burning sensation of his head. Then a sharp pain drilled on his nose and eye that made him absolutely numb to his limbs. He heard his surroundings screaming but he could only see black and struggled to stay on his feet.