An Invitation

Bella hadn't heard from Harry for a fortnight. Not that she mind, she didn't. She heard from the nurses from the station as she was signing some prescriptions for her new patients that Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are currently in a holiday in South Africa and they think the prince will finally propose. Good for him. She thought.

"Honey, don't you think it's time to visit Doctor West in San Francisco?" Doctor Gerard Clarke asked her daughter in concern as they ate lunch inside his office. "It's been a while since you had an attack." He continued and Bella just smiled at him. "Why don't you move back with us?"

"We made a deal, dad."

Doctor Gerard sighed, "I know. I know we did. I'm just concerned."

They didn't talk about the situation but instead diverted it into what new discoveries where discussed at the symposium in LA. "We actually bought one of the newly developed ECG machine from Japan.. It's the newest and most high end as of the moment." He said taking a folder off of his table and handing it over to Bella. "We think it would be good for the hospital."

"It would be." Bella nodded agreeing.

However, Doctor Gerard couldn't shake off the concern he has for his daughter. His only daughter. His only kid and still, he still might lose her at a moment's notice. Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy. He sighed. He is a well-known cardiologist and yet he couldn't cure his own kid- albeit, there is actually no cure developed for it yet but there are preventions. Numerous preventions. Her disease was realized when she was 18. Bella was never the one to voice out how she feels when she feels something may it be pain physically or emotionally. They never knew. But on the 25th of December year 2011 during his parents' visit, it suddenly became apparent.

He remembered how everyone was festive. His parents sat with him on the couch while Bella and Georgia were busy preparing the table for them. He can still hear Georgia and Bella laughing from the kitchen when suddenly he heard plates crashing and Georgia screaming for help. He remembered how much his daughter wheezed for air as she clutched his collar while he carried her out the door. They all thought that it was just an asthma attack but when he did a deeper diagnosis, he found out that his daughter has a more insidious case.

It took him months to recover. He couldn't stop blaming himself because he should have known sooner. Maybe, if he had known, he could of had prevented it.

"Dad, stop looking at me like that. I'm fine." Bella said staring at her father who suddenly blinked back at her. "I'll be fine. I'll go willingly to San Francisco if I feel like I can't handle it."

After lunch, Bella went to do three hours of consultation for out-patients before doing her regular rounds for her in-patients. No one outside her family knew of her condition and she preferred it that way. She doesn't like sympathy or being treated cautiously more than the others. She hates special treatment. And so, she lives life normally- or as normally as she could. She doesn't do anything physically strenuous and she doesn't allow herself feel too much of any emotion.

By 5 in the afternoon, she found herself sitting in her office reading a book about pre-eclampsia when Jenny, her medical assistant, knocked on the door. "What can I do for you, Jenny?" Bella asked not looking up from her book.

"A letter came for you."

Bella placed her book down with a curious look on her face. "Who was it from?"

"Well, it just says it's from Buckingham Palace." Jenny said handing the letter over to Bella who now had an arched eyebrow. She watched the doctor open the envelope and read the contents. "Are you in trouble?"