The Sun and The Stars

It is a sunny day in San Diego when Bella arrived at the airport.

People are bustling around the airport; some are in a hurry to catch their flights, some are saying goodbyes to their loved ones, some are sitting in the waiting area reading books or browsing through their phones- and lots more. Bella walked through the airport with her sunglasses on ready to get out of it. There was never any good memory with this airport for her.

As a kid, she had travelled through the US multiple times. Her grandparents, from the mothers' side, migrated to the US before Bella was born so Bella's family visited constantly. But, San Francisco International Airport was her least favorite among all the other airports in the US. No, it's not about the location or anything discriminative but it was because whenever she goes to San Diego, she knows that she's about to know much more about her condition. The next morning, she walked 15 minutes to Doctor West's clinic. Doctor Arthur West is Bella's father's good friend. Doctor West is a bit older than Gerard and is the latter's mentor since medical school; which is why Bella's father believes that Bella is in a much more capable hands.

"Doctor Isabella Clarke." Doctor Arthur West greeted shaking hands with Bella. "It's been a while."

Bella smiled and nodded, "I was busy."

Doctor West smiled and led Bella towards the bed where he did an EKG on her- all the while extremely quiet up until he will ask Bella to breathe in or out deeply. After that, he sat Bella down on his office to talk about her results. "You have to be honest with me, Bella." He started reading the chart intently still- his eyes not looking at Bella.

Bella can feel the seriousness of his voice and she became more nervous on her seat. She sifted uncomfortably before saying a meek, "Sure."

"Did you have any changes in your lifestyle?" He asked finally looking at Bella. "Did you start exercising, running, or anything?"

"No, not really. I just started working for my parents two months ago."

The cardiologist nodded before asking, "Any overwhelming emotions plaguing you recently?"

And this time, Bella bit her bottom lip not able to answer. It's just that I'm in love with someone who I can never be with- so yeah, that plagues me quite a lot, doc. She thought but remained quiet afraid that she might say anything she shouldn't.

Doctor West placed the cardiogram on top of the table neatly before saying, "I'm going to be honest. I'm not going to beat around the bush." Bella can only nod back as she, herself, looked at the cardiogram briefly before looking at Doctor West as well. "Your condition is getting worse."

"Worse?" Bella asked almost whispering. Although she had felt it, it's still hard for her to accept it. "Am I going to die soon?"

There was no emotion from Doctor West for Bella to read. "Possibly." He finally said after a few seconds of silence. "We're both doctors. There's no point for me to tell you otherwise." He explained and Bella nodded. "There's still prevention though."

Bella knew what's coming, "Please.." she whispered shaking her head slowly.

"I'm sorry but we have to consider it to clear out your left artery and if that doesn't work then we consider a transplant." He said and his voice is comforting- almost.

But still, Bella knew what can happen if she agrees. "If I go through surgery, how much chance do I have?"

"At this stage? 40 percent.."

"I still want to live." She said her voice cracking at the end. As much as her mind tells her that she won't reach 30, she still couldn't grasp death. She still couldn't accept it. Both remained quiet for a few minutes as Bella tried to recompose herself.