Chapter 3

Chapter 3

It was the first day to work and everyone was very excited to meet each other. They had a very long day ahead of them. They were starting off with the table read, then quickly to their trailers for fittings and makeup testing for the first episode. Then later they have rehearsal. Everyone was pretty much standing around talking to each other, just waiting for the table read to start.

Sherri was talking to Maia and Cierra, laughing at the stories that they have already created in the short time that they have known each other. Sherri has noticed that Teri has yet to arrive. She was getting a little antsy; constantly looking at the door waiting for her to walk through. She was determined to make a better impression this time. She noticed that the two girls stopped talking and turned their attention to the gorgeous blond that just entered the room. "Teri!" they yelled as she made her way over to them smiling. "Hello my babies".

*Sherri POV*

There she is. Ok, just smile, be happy, seem fun! Why am I this nervous? I've never been this nervous with any other cast mate since I first met my husband on set. She is still laughing and talking to Cierra and Maia. She has yet to look up as I just stand off to the side. I must admit, I am a little envious of how close they all seem to be. Teri is going on and on with them as if she has known them for some time.

Finally she looks up and notices me. A chill runs down my spine and I instinctively look down at my sweaty palms. "Shit, Sherri. Stop looking down" I mentally scold myself. I look back up with the intent to smile back at her, but she is still looking at me and the smile is no longer there. She looks more so observant. She finally looks away, smiles at the girls and begins to walk my way. I re-plaster my smile and take a deep breath.

"Hi sweetheart. How are you doing?" She rubs her hand up and down my upper arm as she says this. I get a little sad when I realize I won't be getting another hug like everyone else. But I understand why. "I'm great. Just excited to get things started". "Same here," she replies, "The cast, for the most part, seems like a blast to work with". I think to myself, "For the most"? Was I that exception? I quickly tried to brush it off. "You know. We should plan to do something outside of work". Teri gave me a strange look and I quickly regret saying what I said. "Oh. When you didn't reply to any of the messages I didn't think-" "What messages?" Now I'm the one who looks confused. "It's really ok Sherri. I had jobs where I had to keep things strictly business before. No worries love". Before I could say anything else, Bradley told us all to sit for the table read. She gave me a half smile and went to her seat. I walked behind her in disbelief. I felt hurt and annoyed, especially when I realized that I had to sit next to the woman who just made it clear that she didn't like me.

*Teri's POV*

After mentally preparing myself for whatever is about to happen today I already felt drained. But I had to admit, I was excited to see most of the cast. I was able to get all of their numbers from Peter. I started a group message with them so everyone can get to know one another beforehand. Everyone seems pretty amazing and loving. Cierra and Maia even added me to a group message of their own. They want to talk about all types of stuff, such as growing up in Hollywood, health tips, and even advice on love and relationships. But I'm obviously not an expert after all of my failed relationships. They all caused me to be so excited to start working.

But what really made me upset was that Sherri not once replied nor said a simple hello in the group message. With hopes of gaining longevity with the show I know it's important for everyone to at least get along, and one person could jeopardize that.

Before my eyes could even adjust to the room I heard my girls scream my name. "Hello my babies". Being able to actually hug them was great. After all the messaging and phone calls they already felt like family. They started to tell me about the double date they went on together. I was trying my best to listen but I couldn't because I saw her from the corner of my eyes. She was just standing there watching me. I could feel my breathing change but I wasn't exactly sure why. Just being around her was making me agitated, yet filled with admiration because she still is absolutely stunning.

I get the courage to look at her and pretend to be completely happy to see her. As soon as we made eye contact she looks down yet again. What is up with that? She seems different from the last time we were together. Before she came off as a snob, now however, she reminds me of my 5 year old daughter when she meets new people. She seems very shy and timid. I'm trying to debate how to approach her this time, when she catches me watching her. I take a deep breath and brace for impact.

As we begin to talk there's a lot of tension and awkwardness. Usually I'm the one breaking the tension and cause the other person to warm up, but I couldn't let myself do it. She mentions something about possibly hanging out, and I could stop my anger and frustration. The group message has been open for a while and she failed to reach out before this. So now I know that this must be an act. As I speak I can feel the harshness in my tone. I start to lighten up when I see what seems to be hurt in her eyes. But hey, this could be an act too. I reassure her that basically she doesn't have to force anything and I'm fine being strictly coworkers. Bradley announces that it's time to start I was hoping that there were a lot of lines for Sherri, because at least Lena would be able to come out.

.....................

The table read went by smoothly and the tension between the two wasn't as bad since they were in character. Teri couldn't help by feel a little bad for how she spoke to Sherri. Maybe she really didn't receive any texts. Maybe if one of them was the bigger person, things would start running differently. She looked down to her left and saw Sherri scrolling through her phone under the table. Teri was on the verge of getting annoyed again until she saw that she was searching through her messages. When she seemed to not have found what she was looking for she went to the search bar and typed "Teri". Still nothing. Teri felt guiltier than ever. Maybe her group messages are disabled; a setting she just learned about herself.

Sherri locked her phone in defeat. She couldn't believe how worked up she was getting. She didn't have many friends on account of she was always busy working or traveling with her husband for his work. Then after ten years of marriage she and her husband decided to separate because she was unable to have children. She thought that this show would be a way for her to have close friends and place that finally felt like home. Somehow that was already messed up.

She refused to cry right now. So her leg started to do this impulsive tapping thing. She was lost in her thoughts while looking at the script when she felt Teri's hand on her knee slightly rubbing it. Her leg instantly stopped moving. She felt a sense of calmness wash over her but then thought about her words earlier. She crossed her knees the other way causing Teri's hand to drop. She looked Teri in her eyes and whispered, "You don't have to comfort me. It's ok". Teri was slightly taken back by the hurt once again in her eyes. Teri grabbed Sherri's right hand and laced their fingers and said, "You're my wife now for better or worse. I want to", with a sincere and warm smile, pleading for Sherri to accept the gesture. Sherri looked at her then at their joined hands and genuinely smiled back. A few moments later with their hands still locked Teri sent her a text outside of the group message which read, "I'm sorry for being an ass". Sherri received it and chuckled while replying, "I'm sorry too". Teri yanked Sherri's chair closer to her as everyone laughed at the sudden loudness of the chair and Sherri's shocked expression as she tried to hold on. Teri looked at Sherri as she laughed and said, "What are you laughing about, woman?" Which just caused them both to just laugh harder.