Chapter 10

Chapter 10

Sherri woke up a little groggy and sore. She tried to stretch to strengthen her muscles but was met with a pain shooting up her side. Her eyes started to adjust to her new surroundings. She couldn't even remember going to sleep in the first place. Once her eyes fully adjusted she felt a wave of panic wash over her. She winced as she began to sit up in bed. She realized that she was in the room alone. And not just any room, but the room that she shared with Nick.

She looked down at herself. Teri's long t-shirt that she was wearing earlier was now tattered and messy. She began to shake when she finally saw her arms that were completely covered and chaffed with scratches and bruises. "Teri! Teri!" Her hand immediately went to her throat. She was so thirsty. What was happening?

She heard footsteps nearing the door. Without a doubt she knew the sound of those steps. She used to dread hearing them every night when he came home. He opened the door with the most evil smile one could ever muster. "Nick. What have you done? Why am I here? Where's Teri?" The last question came with a couple of tears. She knew that Teri would never have let him take her, so he must have done something to her. Sherri was more afraid than ever, but she couldn't move. "Where is she?! Where's my Teri Polo," she sobbed. "No wife of mine is going to be gay. I'm going to remind you what it's like to be straight". He began to unbutton his clothing as he walked towards her. Her eyes widening with his every step, and all she could do was scream and thrash around. "No! Teri! Teri! PLEASE! Help me!"

Just as if someone flipped a switch from within her, Sherri jumped up completely out of breath. Sweat dripping down her spine as she frantically looked around. She held her hair up out of her face as she looked behind her to see a sleeping Teri. It was just a bad nightmare. She let out a deep breath; completely forgetting that she fell asleep on the couch tightly wrapped in Teri's arms after their eventful morning.

She tip-toed into the kitchen trying not to wake Teri. She grabbed a bottled water from the fridge and gulped down nearly half of it. What could that dream have meant? She looked down to see her hands still trembling. She had to get it together. She walked past the living room to check on Teri before heading to the bathroom. She turned on the shower as the steam began to fill the room. She looked in the mirror at herself, a little uncertain as to who was looking back at her. The reflected has seemed to have changed over the past few months since meeting Teri. Looking away, she stripped of her clothes and stepped into the hot shower, letting her worries be soothed away.

.....

Teri awoke to her doorbell ringing. She anticipated lifting the weight of Sherri with her. But was puzzled to find that she was sleeping alone. She glanced around the living room and the kitchen, but still no sign of her. The doorbell rang once again, pulling her from her thoughts. Not wanting to keep whomever waiting and longer, she raced to open the door without checking to see who was even there. 

There in front of her stood Sean. "Teri, I have been calling you like crazy trying to make sure that you were alright". She did actually feel terrible. They had a great day yesterday for it to all end so badly. But everything was so much bigger than him. It was nothing personal. She really didn't mean to hurt him. "I'm, I'm sorry. Come in for a second". She led him to the kitchen hoping that he didn't mind the mess. She didn't find the time to clean after her and Sherri's little rendezvous. But she didn't want to bring him in the living room out of fear that he may get too comfortable and get the wrong idea. "So are you ok?" "Yes. I'm sorry. I turned my phone off. It was a really long night," she looked over at the clock and saw that it was barely noon, "and morning". He reached and grabbed her hands with concerned eyes. "Are you sure that you are alright?"

She moved her hands from his and acted as though she suddenly needed to clean. "It's ok. I wasn't going to kiss you again. Though I know that I am almost as attractive, I know that I'm not Sherri". Teri's head snapped around so fast that she could have gotten whiplash. "What?" "It's ok Teri. I picked up on it last night. You two actually really fit each other". Teri was stuck. She didn't want to ramble and say the wrong thing, but also she didn't want to confirm anything yet. "You're secret is safe with me, I swear. But that's not why I'm here. I talked to Matt. He told me about Jeanie and the baby." "I don't want to talk about it". He ignored her and kept going. "I know you two were close. Based off of your reaction last night I know that you must still be hurting too." Tears threatened to leave her eyes. "Sean, really".

Just then Sherri came from around the corner, face flushed and eyes watery. "She lost her baby?" Teri turned away as the tears fell. "I see you are in good hands, Ter. I'll check up a little later". He turned to Sherri who seemed to be fresh out of the shower. She clutched her towel a little tighter as she watched him. Body still glistening and hair up in a wet top knot bun. Protectively, Teri stepped in his line of view guarding Sherri's body, giving him the "what the hell are you looking at" look. "I'm sorry. You really are beautiful, both of you." Right before he walked out of the door he turned to Sherri and said, "Just take good care of her, ok? She really is special". Leaving before he could get a response.

"Teri". "I don't want to talk about it". "No you don't get to use that excuse with me anymore. Now sit down and let it out!" Teri knew by her tone that there was no point in objecting. She just sat there and began talking. "She has been my best friend since we were teenagers. She was pregnant then too. But her family sent her away and made her give the baby up. She was devastated and never forgave them. When they got married they desperately tried but it never worked. This was their miracle baby. I was so mad at her. She called every day and I was too mad to pick up the phone just once. That was my God-daughter. I should have answered the phone." Teri was sobbing and Sherri quickly embraced her, rocking her as she held back her own tears. "Don't think that way. This is not your fault. Things happen without any rhyme or reason.   You can't put something this heavy on yourself. People argue and people fight. But she knows that you love her. Just continue to be a good friend and be there for her". After a couple of minutes of Teri crying into Sherri's chest she sat back and looked at her.

"So not that I'm complaining, but why are you naked?" Sherri chuckled as she sat across Teri's lap and Teri secured her there by wrapping her arms around her waist. "I decided to shower, but then I remember that my stuff isn't here anymore. I really didn't want to put my dress back on". "I see. Come with me". Teri grabbed her free hand and led her back into her room. She left Sherri standing in the middle as she rummaged through her dresser. She returned with a pair of black yoga pants and a simple white cotton V-neck t-shirt. "No underwear?" "No. I'm saving time for later," Teri said with a smirk. "Oh no. Next time is my turn". Teri simply laughed at Sherri taking her shine and went to hand her the clothes. But instead Sherri raised her arms like a doll, dropping the towel. Teri's eyes scanned the body in front of her as she put down the pants and began to dress her. She pulled the shirt over her head as she stared back at her lovingly. Teri smiled in response and pulled her in for a quick kiss. She gently tapped her sides signaling her to turn as Teri sat on the bed. Teri help open the pants as Sherri placed her hands on her shoulders to steady herself while she stepped in them one leg at a time. Teri pulled them up then folded them down at the waist. She gave her the once over. Even though Teri's clothes were slightly bigger than Sherri's normal ones, she still looked amazing.

"Teri?" "Yes Love?" Sherri sat down on the bed next to her. "Remember earlier when you referred to us as 'Whatever this is'? Well I was thinking and I'm in love with you Teri Polo. I was so miserable without you. I felt broken thinking that the one person in this world that I was in love with didn't love me back. I was so jealous and hurt last night because I didn't want to share you. I couldn't stand to see you with someone else. I want to officially be yours and you mine. I can't bare see you date anyone else." Sherri searched her eyes for any type of agreement. "So what do you think," Sherri asked nearly breathless. "Well, I think that I need to jump in the shower so I can go bring my girlfriend's stuff back home"

"Yeah?" Sherri asked in her little voice. "Yeah," Teri nodded reassuringly before giving her one las peck.