Fearless? - Chapter Six

‘So this is the part where I’m supposed to tell you it’s not scary. Well, it is. But fear is natural, fear is good - it just means you’re growing,’ 

- Unknown

Chapter Six

Cole quietly opened the front door to his house, trying to sneak in without waking his father up. Turning around, he closed the front door, barely making any noise as he slowly crept upstairs, the steps creaking underneath his feet.. The homey smell washed over his senses, calming his mind from all the thoughts that had plagued it since he had pulled Azelie over the bridge rails, the smell replacing all the memories that had plagued his consciousness and instead replacing it with happy memories of his sister and his father. 

Cole had grown up in this house, and he loved it almost as much as he loved his family. He loved the memories of living there, even thought there were countless bad memories, the good ones outnumbered them by far. His gaze floated up to his sisters bedroom door as he walked slowly up the stairs, she wouldn’t be up for a few hours but there was no doubt in his mind that once she was, she would run through to his room and jump on his bed until he finally woke up  and promised to make her pancakes, just as she did every other Saturday morning. 

“Well, I must say Colten Grey, I’m surprised!” a voice spoke, breaking the silence that filled the house. Cole let his head fall slightly as he walked over to the rail of the stairs, looking down into the hall where his father stood with a smirk on his face and a coffee cup in his hands.

“How?” Cole questioned, slightly annoyed that he had been caught.

“You stayed out all night without contacting your daddy dearest to tell him that you wouldn’t be home! I’m so proud - I actually have a normal teenager as a son! Unless, of course, your some kind of alien replacement and my real son was kidnapped,” His father joked, a smile still on his lips. Cole just laughed quietly at his father, wondering how, at times, he could be more mature than his own father. 

“Yes dad, I’m an alien replacement! Actually, wait no, I’m a terminator sent back from the future to kill John Conner, I’m just struggling to find him...” Cole replied trailing off slightly.

“Well, he lives just down the street, and feel free to stay as long as you don’t leave a trail of his blood anywhere, you’re welcome to stay as long as you want,”

“Cool,” Cole replied, rolling his eyes at his father as he turned back to walk back up the stairs.

“Did you meet a girl?” His father questioned, wiggling his thick eyebrows with smiling mischievously as his son who had paused on the stairs, his green eyes shining brightly. Thoughts of Azelie plagued his mind once again. It wasn’t what his father had meant, but it was enough to submerge his mind with thoughts of her once again. “Oooooh you did! Come on, tell your daddy dearest all about it!” Cole shook his head at his father, wishing that he could hide his emotions better around him. 

“Will you stop referring to yourself as daddy dearest? Next you’ll be calling me your princess son!” Cole said, avoiding the questioned.

“I like referring to myself as daddy dearest, makes me seem more like the caring father figure I am!” His father smirked, “Now princess, tell me all about her! Did you wear protection - you know I’m too handsome and young to be a grandfather!”

“It wasn’t... it’s not like you think...” Cole replied quietly, running his fingers back through his messy, brown hair. He was hoping that his father would just drop the subject, but of course, he didn’t.