Fearless? - Chapter Thirty-Seven

‘Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light.

I have loved the stars too fondly, to be fearful of the night,’

- Sarah Williams, (The Old Astronomer) 

Chapter Thirty-Seven

When Azelie woke up, she found herself not wanting to open her eyes. Last night had been one of her good nights, the nights where she got some sleep and didn’t have any of her usual nightmares. The reasons for this, well he was sleeping right next to her. She slowly opened her eyes to find him looking sleepily at her, a silly smirk playing on his lips. God, she loved him. 

“Good morning,” he mumbled, his voice still full of tiredness. Azelie found it hard to not physically swoon at his voice, Jesus, Cole was hot in the morning. His arms were wrapped around her body, holding her close to him as she looked up at him, returning the smile.

“Morning,”

“No nightmares last night?” he asked, as Azelie began to yawn, rolling from her side and onto her back as she stretched her arms out. Cole removing his arms so she could move freely. 

“Not a single one,” She answered, “Sleeping with you always seems to stop them,” Azelie added, looking back at him, his green eyes shining.

“Sleeping with me?” He repeated her words, the smile on his lips turning into a confident smirk, “So we slept together... I must have been very drunk last night because that memory seems to have escaped my mind and I’m certain that would be something I remember,”

“Shut up you asshole! You know what I mean! Stop twisting my words,” She cried, turning onto her side and slapping him lightly on the bare chest that wasn’t covered by the bed sheets. Azelie somehow managed to hold back the drool. She loved how normal this all seemed, them sleeping together. With other teenagers, sleeping together would mean sex; but with Azelie and Cole, well it meant literally sleeping together, “And speaking of you being an asshole,” Azelie added, pushing herself up from the bed.

“Shit... I was hoping you had gotten drunk enough to forget about that,” Cole swore, realising that she had remembered.

“Cole, don’t you think you drunk enough for the both of us last night?” She replied sarcastically, “What was wrong, and don’t give me your usual bullshit - after the events of last night, I think I’ve earned the right to know what’s going on,” 

Cole let out a sigh as he pushed himself up straight, and leaned back on the headboard of the bed. The bed cover slipped down more to reveal more of his chest, which resulted in Azelie chanting over and over in her head, telling herself that she was angry at him and to not, under any circumstanced look down at his chest.

“You’ll freak out if I tell you,” he sighed. He couldn’t tell her yet, not until everything was certain. There was a chance that everything had been a huge mix up, Nothing was for sure yet, he wanted to wait until then. But then last night.. all his old feelings came back again, and he couldn’t handle them. He knew that if they were right, he was going to have months more of the anger and sadness, and he just wanted to withhold everything, for one night. One night where he could escape everything, all the possibilities. So he drunk the pain away, and got angry at Azelie when she tried to get him to explain everything. She was reminding him of everything, so he pissed her off so she would leave him alone. Obviously, Azelie had different plans.