Fearless? - Chapter Nineteen

‘In time we hate that which we often fear,’

- William Shakespeare

Chapter Nineteen

        “Is it just me or does the school food get worse and worse every day?” Alex commented, as he sat down at the table where Azelie, Kelly and Cole were, before looking down at the disgusting brown mush that had been placed on his plate. It had been a long week for Azelie. It was only Thursday but her entire week had been filled up with mountains of homework.

        “Now, now Alex - I thought we didn’t judge things before we tried them?” Kelly joked, shaking her head in fake disapproval in Alex’s direction. Alex looked up from his plate and over the Kelly, an eye brow raised. He then stuck out his tongue out in her direction before picking up his fork and scooping up some of the ‘food’ and eating it. All three sets of eyes were watching Alex as he placed the food in his mouth, waiting for his reaction.

        “OH GOD!” He coughed, food sputtering out of his mouth as he did. He quickly turned to his left before spitting the remaining food into the bin, choking slightly as he did. The trio just burst out laughing, all three of them having been smart enough to avoid the mush that the school was trying to serve as food and instead had opted for sandwiches, except Kelly who had decided to skip lunch all together. “That’s just awful! I don’t even think it’s editable!”

        “Alex, you must have been the only person stupid enough to actually try that!” Cole laughed, shaking his head at his best friend, wondering if being tacked so many times while playing football had effected Alex’s IQ.

        “I didn’t think it would be that bad!” Alex replied, grabbing his water bottle before rinsing out his mouth, trying to get rid of the remaining taste. “Besides you’re supposed to be on my side!”

        “What the side of the stupid?” Cole replied with a grin. Alex just shot Cole an angry look.

        “Haha very funny Cole!” Alex replied looking at Cole, before turning his head to face everyone else in the group.

        “You’re such a drama queen Alex! It can’t have been that bad!” Azelie added, looking down at the mush on his plate. It did look awful, but it can’t have been that bad! Surely the school wouldn’t serve something that made it’s students sick?

        “You really think it isn’t that bad?” Alex replied, turning to Azelie, a grin growing on his lips. She just nodded in reply, sure of what she had said. “Okay then! I dare you to try it - AND you have to swallow it!” he threatened. The dare caught Cole’s attention as he waited to see if she would do it.

        “Okay drama queen - you’re on!” Azelie smirked. Alex pushed his plate towards her, before passing her a fork. She grabbed the fork before digging into the food, taking a fair bit on the fork before looking around the group. Kelly was just sat there watching the entire scene, shaking her head at Azelie, while Alex sat with a smug look on his face ready to watch Azelie puke. Then she looked at Cole, taking in his curious expression. She put the fork in her mouth, and tried to hold down the gagging effect it had on her. It was awful, with a sharp taste of god know’s what mixed in with a pungent flavour. It was like acid on her taste buds, killing them one by one. Somehow she managed to swallow it, still managing to keep the smirk on her lips.

        “See! Not that bad, drama queen!” She said as she held down the food in her stomach. What the hell had she just eaten?