Fearless? - Chapter Thirty-Two

‘Courage is knowing what not to fear,’

- Plato

Chapter Thirty-Two

“Hey,” Azelie smiled softly over at Cole as she sat down at their usual lunch table in the canteen. It was just her and Cole sitting alone, Kelly and Alex were probably making out in a cupboard like some high-school cliché couple or being told off by the head teacher for the second time for getting too ‘hot and heavy’ as he had put it. Yesterday, they had been kissing in the canteen like they usually did when the head teacher suddenly appeared from nowhere and stopped the two love birds, telling them to create some space between them. The head teacher then pointed to Alex and said ‘easy tiger’ which had been the source of countless jokes since.

“Hey,” Cole replied, looking up at Azelie.

“How was Lily’s appointment yesterday?” Azelie asked, her full attention focused on Cole. He had been off the day before because Lily had had a check-up, something that was to be taken seriously. It could give them an early indication if her cancer was trying to return or not. 

“It was fine, nothing to worry about! They just ran some tests like they usually do and the results should be back in a week or so,” He explained, as he began to eat his lunch. Azelie nodded in reply before smiling softly over at him, glad that it was nothing serious. She had a feeling that there might be something more, but she just shrugged it off. “Do you want to come over tonight? Dad’s going to be working late tonight and Lily’s got a sleep over at a friends, so it will just me all by myself all night,”

“Surprised you aren’t following the trend of some of your team mates and throwing a party,” Azelie smiled. “Or are you too scared your dad would kill you?”

“Are you kidding? My dad would freaking join in! Hell, he’s come up and tell me that he was proud of me for being a ‘normal teenager’,” Cole laughed, “Besides, parties aren’t really my thing,”

Azelie just laughed at his reply before nodding in reply, “What time do you want me to come over?”

“Come over where?” A voice interrupted, and both Cole and Azelie looked up to find Kelly standing at their table, her eyes narrowed as she looked between the both of them.

“Over to Cole’s house so we can start the baby making,” Azelie began, a smile stretching onto her lips as she looked up at her pink-haired friend.

“WHAT?”

“Haven’t you heard? We’re getting married Vegas style next weekend and thought it might be even better if I was knocked up when we got hitched,”

“OH MY GOD? Are you serious?” Kelly began to squeal, jumping up and down in excitement. 

“No,” Azelie answered, rolling her eyes at her best friend.

“Damn you Azelie!” Kelly yelled, suddenly sitting down at the table and slamming her fists into it, “Stop getting my hopes up! You know it’s not nice!”

“Did I ever claim to be nice?” Azelie smirked, raising an eyebrow in question. Kelly just flipped her off in reply.

“Anyway, what I was going to say before you started getting my hopes up was that you can’t go to Cole’s tonight to go do whatever you were going to do,”