Fearless? - Chapter Eleven

‘Where fear is, happiness is not,’

- Lucius Annaeus Seneca 

Chapter Eleven

The noise that echoed around the stadium was immense, but it didn’t surprise Azelie one bit. A stadium full of teenagers desperate for their school’s football team to win, cheering different chants in the hope of raising their team’s moral, of course the noise level would be through the roof. The stadium was packed and it had taken Kelly and Azelie almost a good ten minuets to track down two spare seats to sit on. But after battering their way through crowds and pushing themselves across rows of people, they finally managed to find the perfect seats, giving them a clear view of the entire field. 

“Jesus Christ! This is busier that I remember it!” Kelly complained as they sat down in the seats while Azelie scanned around the crowd, soaking up the atmosphere. She hadn’t usually gone to the football games when she was down in Florida. It wasn’t that they weren’t big events; it was just that Azelie usually preferred to be alone, rather than trapped in crowds of strangers who supported a team she couldn’t care less about.

“How long until the game begins?” Azelie questioned, turning to face Kelly. Kelly’s bright pink hair was wavy, flowing down to her shoulders while her face only had a little make-up on it. While Azelie was dressed in a plain t-shirt and a pair of shorts, Kelly was wearing a simple short dress. Both looked casual enough so they didn’t stand out from the crowd at the stadium, but nice enough to be able to go to party afterwords and not feel self-conscience about being underdressed. 

“Should be any minute now! But it really depends on when the boys decided that they want to emerge out of their dressing rooms,” Kelly smiled, glancing over at Azelie. Azelie nodded, smiling slightly at her friend before looking back to the crowd, a smile creeping onto her face when she saw how excited everyone was for the game. It seemed that everyone in Bellingham High School had turned up to the game, not wanting to miss the first game of the season. Suddenly, whistles started to ring loudly, and the crowd immediately jumped to their feet, Azelie and Kelly hastily copying them as the football team ran quickly on to the pitch, each wearing a a bright red top, with white shorts and a white helmet. The crowd went crazy as the players walked onto the field. Azelie hadn’t thought that the noise level could increase any more when she had arrived, and now she was positive that their cheers could be heard across the country in New York! 

On the back of their red shirts, there was their last name was printed in white bold letters. The word ‘GREY’ stuck out to Azelie, catching her attention as soon as she spotted it. She watched him as he ran next to Alex, the two of them talking to each other about something.

“There they are!” Kelly shouted at the top of her lungs but Azelie could barely hear her over the shouting. She pointed down at the field, unaware that Azelie had spotted the two boys a long time ago. She quickly sent a smile in Kelly’s direction, nodding her head slightly before turning back to the pitch, watching as the team organized themselves around the field, preparing themselves for the game. It was a few minutes later before the game began, the starting whistle blowing as the two teams crushed into one. A surge of excitement filled Azelie as the game began, enjoying being at the game and watching the football. Kelly was stood beside her, yelling at the boys to kick the other teams asses and screaming out directions for the team, even though they couldn’t hear her. One thing was for sure, Kelly would have made a terrible cheerleader, as she would have probably ended up shouting at the team rather than cheering for team.