Fearless? - Chapter Ten

‘Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free,’ 

 - Jim Morrison

Chapter Ten

Azelie walked sleepily into the Chemistry class, barely paying any attention to her surroundings. She had hardly slept, her mind buzzing awake all night long slowly driving her closer to insanity. She had practically jumped out of her bed when the alarm clock went off signaling to Azelie that it was 6 and she could now go out running. Her skin was a shade of grey, washed out of all colour while her hair was up in a messy bun, Azelie too tired to straighten it.

She quickly dumped her bag under her desk before pulling out her chai and sitting down before laying her head softly on the desk, and slowly closing her eyes. Her mind began to drift peacefully away, the buzz from the coffee she had drunk in the morning starting to wear off.

“Wakey! Wakey sleepy head!” a voice sung, causing her to let out a groan of tiredness. Why did she have to be partnered with Cole for Chemistry! She opened her eyes slightly to find Cole smiling down at her, no hint of sleepiness in his bright green eyes.

“Go away!” She cried, shoving her arm out to hit him but instead missing by miles. 

“Hey! No need for violence!” Cole tutted playfully, waggingly one finger at Azelie. she let out another groan while pushing her head slightly off the wooden table. Cole was already annoying her and she’d only been speaking to him for barely even 30 seconds.

“Go away and there will be no need for violence!” Azelie groaned in reply, wishing that Cole would just leave her alone.

“Why are you always so tired anyway?” Cole questioned, “Every time I see you, you are always half asleep!” 

“Maybe it’s because you bore me to death!” she replied, not even bothering to look at him.

“No, seriously! Why are you always tired?” he questioned, his green eyes not moving away from her. His question made her think. Should she tell him the truth? That, of course, would lead to more questions which Azelie really didn’t want to answer. 

“I work nights as a stripper, I get off around 4am so I don’t get a lot of sleep,” she replied, a smile forming on her lips. Cole just rolled his eyes, chucking a little at her answer. Had he been expecting her to tell the truth? Of course not! Nothing was ever easy with this girl!

“You know what! I think you are too scared to tell me the answer!” Cole exclaimed, Azelie letting out a slight laugh before turning her head to face Cole, the tiredness melting away from her body.

“Who said it isn’t the truth? I could be a stripper!” she answered. “And I thought we went over this - I’m not scared of anything!”

“Well I still don’t believe that you aren’t scared of everything!” Cole replied, looking away from Azelie and over to the teacher who had just entered the room.

“Ha - I am well aware of that!” 

“You what! I’m going to prove it to you!” Cole spoke, turning to face her once again, his eyes bright.

“Prove what?” 

“That you aren’t fearless!” he replied, “Azelie Ryans, I am going to find your fear!” His answer made Azelie burst out with laughter, causing a few heads to turn her way, trying to figure out what she was finding so funny.