Chapter 13: On My Mind (1/3)

Blinking in the morning light, I lifted my gaze to see a clear sky overhead

Blinking in the morning light, I lifted my gaze to see a clear sky overhead. Days like this were fairly uncommon in the Pacific Northwest, especially at this time of year. I was still curled up and very comfortable, so I nestled my head back down against my tail for a few more moments of rest.

It took some time, but I willed my sleepy body to a four-legged standing position and walked in circles to energize myself. A quick waterfall shower would be nice, I thought, and I could grab some fish for breakfast while I was there. Thinking they would just get wet and dirty, I left my shorts behind and decided to try going about my morning like a natural-born dragon. It would be an experiment, but not one I was overly worried about. My conversation with Rofar left me feeling reassured that the wildness inside me was completely natural and something that I could control. Anyway, I was quickly becoming accustomed to walking like a dragon.

I loped along the path to the waterfall, feeling like part of the forest as I heard and smelled the nature around me. The falls called to me from a distance, and I leaped into the pool with a satisfying splash when I arrived. The center was deep enough for me to paddle around, dipping my head under to wash my whole body in the refreshing coolness. I swam a bit like a dog with my wings tucked close to streamline my body and all four paws churning the water. My chosen method of drying off was also doglike as I climbed out and shook vigorously to remove most of the water. My wings required a good shake as well, and flapping them brought back a strong yearning for flying. "At least I got to fly with Rofar in the dream," I thought with a sigh.

Another brisk walk along the water's path brought me to the river. The water flowed like liquid turquoise in the morning light. Exercising caution, I tasted the air and scanned the area for any people before I strolled up to the eddy where I had success the day before. My peripheral vision picked up a flurry of movement on the opposite bank, and I froze, instantly crouching as my instincts directed, ready to attack or flee. Luckily, I saw right away there was no threat. It was only a bald eagle swooping low from its perch to clasp a thrashing fish in its talons, carrying it off to feed in private. I took a moment to enjoy the majestic sight and relaxed in no time. "Just another predator like me."

A couple successful catches were all I needed to feel pleasantly full. I remembered reading somewhere that animals like snakes and alligators can make a single meal last for weeks or more. I wondered if that was the case for me, thinking about how much I ate in one sitting the previous day. Maybe my eating habits would adjust to consist of large and infrequent feedings. I just hoped they wouldn't make me feel as drowsy as the last one. Long naps after every meal sounded pretty inconvenient.

I turned my thoughts to another topic as I sat in the sun on the riverbank, staring at the impressive conifers that stood tall and regal next to the steady flow. "Even if I can't fly," I thought, "maybe I can climb trees to get a change of perspective." It was one of my favorite activities as a child; now, I figured it would be even easier with help from my claws. No sooner had I thought about this new activity than I had to try it. I walked up to a nearby trunk and placed my front paws against it. My claws seemed to curve just the right amount to cling to the roughness of the bark. I found my grip and tugged hard with the weight of my body; they held firm. I smiled inwardly and placed my hind legs on the tree as well, feeling a bit like Spiderman as I clung to the tree, still only feet from the ground.

Buoyed by confidence that bordered on recklessness, I moved one paw higher, then the other. The thick pads on my front and back feet made secure contact with the fissured bark that kept me from slipping. I soon found a rhythm where I moved my limbs in coordination. Right front paw moved with the left one in the rear, and so on. Each claw was sharp enough to sink into the wood a fraction of an inch when I clamped down. Soon, I was dodging branches as they jutted out of the tree's top third. I pressed on until I was near the very top. Craning my neck, I saw the forest floor about a hundred feet below and was grateful I wasn't afraid of falling.

The view wasn't spectacular, but I could see the curves of the river stretching out in both directions as I peered from the top boughs of the tree. After I had my fill of the vista, I needed no instruction on how to get down. Letting out a wild bellow, I launched myself from the upper branches and into the open air above the river. My wings snapped open, and I reveled in the brief feeling of flying. It was a short glide down to the river's edge where I touched down and held my wings out wide for a few moments before folding them again. It was good to start the day off with a little fun.

I decided it was time to check back in with my family. As I walked back to my home on the cliff, I thought about what I might say to my mom, who was probably the only one home at this hour. A long talk with Alex was probably overdue as well. It would be good to pass on some of the relief I felt after speaking with Rofar. "Come to think of it," I thought, "I haven't even told my family that Rofar is real, and I'm not alone. That would be a logical first step." Knowledge of the older dragon who could watch over me might ease Mom's worry. But she was my mother after all, and I doubted she could ever stop worrying while her son was out of reach.

The clear morning skies turned out to be misleading as it was starting to cloud over when I arrived back at the ridge. October in these parts often wore a cloak of mist and rain. I hoped the showers at least would hold off; I could deal with the clouds. Rummaging through my bags, I extracted my phone and stylus. When I turned it on, I was greeted by a flood of messages. Scott and Roderick, it seemed, were starting to wonder about my absence. I ignored them for now and called home. My heart beat a little faster as I listened to the ring.

Mom picked up right away, and her voice was a little breathless with relief. "Josh! Thank God, I was starting to get worried. Is everything okay?"

A twinge of guilt seized my gut as I was reminded how much everything weighed on her. Two days without speaking to me definitely put her on edge. I quickly tried to allay her anxiety. "Yeah, everything's going fine. Getting better, actually."

"That's good, that's good. People have started asking about you by now. Scott came by after school yesterday. He was the first one I had to tell. I sat him down and gave him the news that you ran away. It was hard. I haven't had to fake any emotion, that's for sure." She paused to draw a long breath. I prodded some sticks absently with my foot as I listened. "He seemed...surprised and a little...just surprised, that's all. I also told him what you told us: that you had been a little down recently and hadn't really told anyone. I think he took my word for it. I'm sure both he and Roderick would like to hear from you, though."

"It just sucks, having to keep this quiet," I said. "I think, when I'm ready, I want Scott and Roderick to be the first to know the real truth."

"Right. I'm sure we can find a way for you to tell them, honey. When you're back here and you're ready. So you said things are better? How so?"

I told her about Rofar and how there were other dragons who could communicate with me. Saying it out loud made me sound utterly crazy, but my family and I would have to raise our threshold for craziness after what happened. I told her that my mind was still changing every day, and how I was trying to adjust to having these new instincts. Wanting to pass on my optimism, I mentioned Rofar's assurance that a more mature and stable mindset would set in once I learned to control my draconic urges.

"You said your mind is changing? Does that worry you?" A concerned edge was in her voice.

I thought back to my physical change. In the stormy turmoil that surrounded that day, my family was the steady rock I clung to. Now, I was adrift in a strange sea where more clouds gathered each day. I didn't know which way to swim—which way would bring me home. When I made it back to shore, back to my family, I could only hope that the journey didn't change me too much.

If you are enjoying this story, please consider leaving a vote or comment to tell me your thoughts! I really appreciate any and all feedback. Thank you for reading!