Chapter 14: Downpour (3/3)

Something deep inside me roared to life. Though my conscious brain didn't know what to do, there was a protective instinct that took control in an instant. I watched the missile spin through the air in slow motion as the only thought in my head was to make it stop. I kept watching as it met a solid barrier in the air and shattered before reaching its target. My shielding magic shimmered for a moment and vanished. I felt a twinge of fatigue, just like the first time when I stopped a bullet, but in my state I barely noticed it. While everyone was staring at the spot in the air where the bottle broke, I seized my opportunity to go after the man. Once more guided by instinct, I found myself flying through the air, claws outstretched, as I leaped into the center of the room at my surprised target.

I tackled the man easily, laying him out flat on his back and placing a paw on his chest as I stood over him. It would have been so simple for me to end his life. I could have torn his throat out with a single bite, or ripped open his chest with my talons to expose his black heart. But I did not. Better to send a message, I thought. I pressed down hard with my paw, claws just barely pricking the skin as the man winced. Lowering my head to within inches of his, I flashed my predator's teeth, adding my deepest and most threatening growl for good measure.

Smoke trickled from my nostrils as I felt white-hot anger burning my throat. "Listen closely, you pitiful excuse for a human," I said, locking eyes with him. "You are going to leave this house and never come back. Because if you do, I'll be waiting. You might think I'm a monster now, but I swear to you, you haven't seen anything yet. Now, get out of my sight!"

I released the man, and he scrambled to his feet, breathing heavily. Jaw tight with fury, he said, "I don't know what the hell you are, but you should stay outta this. It won't end well for any of us."

"Get moving!" I barked as I stomped my forepaw loudly on the wood floor. At the same moment, thunder shook the house. Just a coincidence, but it added to the effect. He stormed out the front door with me close behind. In the corner of my eye, I saw Wes's mother rush over and wrap herself around her son. The boy's eyes were still full of terror, and they were fixed on me. I turned back to the man, who was now crossing the yard in the pouring rain. One last time, he turned to face me. Before he could say a word, I shot a stream of fire that exploded on the wet ground at his feet into clouds of steam. This seemed to get my message across—from that point I only saw his back as he ran out to his motorcycle and sped off into the night.

Wes was a stone statue on the floor, curled up in his mother's embrace with his eyes closed. The drying blood still streaked his pale face, sticky and black like mud. I walked over to them, and his eyes fluttered open, the blue reminding me of Rofar. He shifted slightly and touched his matted hair, whimpering as he gingerly felt around his wounds. I leaned in and brushed the tip of my snout against his forehead, breathing out ever so slowly. I felt like I had to say something. After a few seconds, I drew my head back and looked at the boy. "I'm so sorry," I whispered.

His mother lifted her head, revealing her face from behind a curtain of raven hair. I noticed her blue eyes were nearly identical to her son's. "I...I can't believe this; I'm seeing what has to be imaginary, but thank you for protecting us. I don't see how it could be real, how Wes could be telling the truth about you."

"I'm...afraid it is real," I said. "But you should thank your son. He was so brave." I gave Wes a small, tired smile. "You really were, kid. You did good."

"Thanks," he said timidly. "I was almost more scared of you, though. I've never seen you like that."

"You should never have to see me like that. Hopefully never again. I don't want you to be afraid. I'm still me. I just had to do something. I couldn't let him hurt you."

"Yeah, I know. It's okay now. I know you had to be all scary to get Daddy to leave."

An unexpected yawn forced me to open my jaws wide, and I registered the flinch from Wes. He was still awfully shaken.

"But who are you really?" the mother asked me, wincing as she touched the bruises on her cheek. "And how did you meet my son?"

"That's a long story," I said. "And maybe it's best for another time. After all this, I think I need some sleep if I can get it." The thunder seemed to have faded somewhat, and the rain had let up to a fine trickle. I was thankful that the storm had passed, but, weather aside, the night's events would not be forgotten so easily.

"If you want a place to sleep, you're welcome to stay in the barn out back. We just use it to store firewood. Oh, and I'm Jackie, by the way."

"Josh," I said, inclining my head slightly. "I'm sorry we're meeting under these circumstances, and, uh, I'm sorry about your door; I wasn't thinking." I looked at the wooden splinters scattered across the floor from my rough entrance.

"Oh, that's...that's nothing," Jackie said. "Don't worry about it. I don't need to worry about any of this tonight. Tomorrow is a new day."

"Alright. I guess I'll be out back. Thanks for the shelter." I turned to head back into the night but lingered by the door for one last moment.

She looked down at the boy sitting against her body. He was shaking less now. "I guess we're lucky you had a friend out there to help us."

"Yeah."

Her fingers caressed his wild hair, careful to touch only the parts not caked in blood. She bent down to get a closer look at her son's face, looking right into the mirror image of her eyes. "You know how much I love you, right?"

"Yeah."

"How much?"

Wes stuck his arms out wide, cracking a small smile. "This much."

"That's right, sweetie, and even more. Now, do you think you can get ready to sleep? I can get you some water."

"Okay, thanks. I'll get up."

"We should clean you up a little bit. Wash your face at least."

I slipped out into the backyard as she scooped the boy up into her arms. Catching his eyes one last time, I was relieved to see calm rather than fear in his face. The air was cold and damp after the storm, and coming down off the adrenaline buzz left me shivering. I could make out the small wooden structure set back near the trees and walked toward my new dwelling. "Is this what it feels like," I thought, "when I use my magic to help someone else? In the heat of the moment, I was able to stand my ground and protect that family. Sure, Wes was a little scared of me, but that was unavoidable. I feel like I did my best. I feel like this could be—"

My string of thought was cut off by a distressing sight. My eyes had wandered past the barn and off into the shadowy forest beyond. There, in the frail moonlight, something looked back out at me. Two red eyes. I froze, unable to control my body as the pair of blood-colored orbs drifted closer to me. The emergence of a dragon-shaped silhouette removed all doubt. This was no dream—I was about to be face-to-face with Ares.

If you are enjoying this story, please consider leaving a vote or comment to tell me your thoughts! I really appreciate any and all feedback. Thank you for reading!